Beginner question: How does the MQTT Gateway communicate with a RFM69 Gateway

• Hi all, I have a real beginner question and struggling to understand how the different components work together using the info on Mysensor.org just from a concept perspective. I am trying to build an architecture where I use Home Assistant as a controller to use MQTT sensors via RFM69 radio. So I think I need a MQTT gateway, and a RFM69 Gateway, as well as sensors connected to RFM69 radio. I have seen the description of both the MQTT gateway, as well as the RFM69 Gateway:

I have seen other architectures (other websites) where the RFM gateway is combined with the MQTT gateway, which I can understand. I am struggling to see how the Controller (Home Assistant) communicates with the sensors using MQTT via RFM69 radio but I must be missing something obvious...

• Mod

@rjgmba hi and welcome to the forum!

https://www.mysensors.org/build/connect_radio decribes how to connect the radio for any node or gateway - it is not limited to serial.

A gateway has 1 transport and 1 controller interface.
    The transport can be rfm69, nrf24, rs485, etc
    The controller interface can be serial, ethernet(tcp), mqtt

So what you want is probably a gateway with rfm69 transport and mqtt controller interface.

1. Program the gateway based on the instructions on the first link you posted. Change the code from
    // Enables and select radio type (if attached)
    #define MY_RADIO_RF24
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM69
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM95

to

// Enables and select radio type (if attached)
    //#define MY_RADIO_RF24
    #define MY_RADIO_RFM69
    //#define MY_RADIO_RFM95

1. connect the radio based on the instructions on the second link.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics