Serial Port Configuration Not Available

• I didn't want to add another thread to this topic but I didn't want to hijack somebody else thread either. I'm on UI5. I just started today by installing a nano serial gateway. I can't get the gateway to show up in Serial Port Configuration. I've been reading through the forums on and off all day. I can't seem to get a grip on where to start trouble shooting this as this is really new to me. I read somewhere on here where a person typed in lsusb in putty but the I didn't get a Device 006 in the list like he did.
    I tried grep Arduino/var/log/cmh/LuaUPNP.log - it's showing me I have to choose a serial port.
    What else should I try? Also, I'm totally confused on uploading the 1.4 library to the nano. Am I supposed to do this? If so how? Do I open the zip in the IDE and upload it into the nano? Guess I could just try it.

EDIT

Oh and I get no messages in the Serial Monitor.

• OK! I'm getting closer. After thinking about it some more, I realized I might have reversed the pinout of the wireless module. I'm using the antenna version and reconnected the jumpers in reverse. Re uploaded the sketch from mysensors website for the gateway, now the L light on the nano is solid red along with the solid green power light. I opened up Serial Monitor in the IDE and it showed me that the gateway started successfully. I plugged the gateway into Vera and checked lsusb in putty and it's now showing a Device 006. I deleted the Arduino device in UI5 and recreated it. Now I'm about to power cycle the vera and see if the gateway will show up in Serial Port Configuration.

EDIT

Still no Serial Port Configuration. I unplugged the gateway, powered off the Vera, plugged the gateway back in, powered the Vera back on.

• Did you powered the Nano by the Vera USB plug? Sometimes it can help to power the Nano by an extra power supply when the components are power hungry (like the antenna RF24-chip).

• What USB chip do you have on your Nano ? Is it one of those Chinese ch340 chips ? If it is, you won't be able to get it to work with Vera. If you have an FTDI chip then you might want to try this.

• @kalle said:

Did you powered the Nano by the Vera USB plug? Sometimes it can help to power the Nano by an extra power supply when the components are power hungry (like the antenna RF24-chip).

I'm have it plugged in to a powered USB hub. There's also another USB stick plugged in for dataMine which is working.

• @CaptainZap said:

What USB chip do you have on your Nano ? Is it one of those Chinese ch340 chips ? If it is, you won't be able to get it to work with Vera. If you have an FTDI chip then you might want to try this.

Crap it is the ch340 chip. I've been looking for the FTDI chips but it seems like there's a lot of issues with those as well. What are my other alternatives? Ethernet gateway?

• @jjwalker You can go ethernet gateway or keep looking for an FTDI based nano. I did find one after some searches on aliexpress but it took a damn long time to reach me. I have plenty of sensors on my table the only thing I lack right now is a good looking enclosure, which is extremely hard to find 😐

• I ordered the gravitech nano someone had mentioned on the forum. It's expensive, ugh, but I don't time fussing around with this. The saved time will be used on figuring out how to make sensors.

• Got the Gravitech in the mail today. First try - recognized! Now to build some sensors. Thanks guys for the help!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics