RPI Gateway: Connect to Controller and MQTT broker with different IP addresses

• Hi all,
    I am trying to use a RPI as mysensors' gateway for both MQTT as well as RFM69 and connected to network using ethernet. As controller I am using HomeAssistant. Is it possible to run a MQTT broker like mosquito on this gateway / or on a device other than the controller?
    0_1552297840169_247bed7d-c2b0-410f-94cc-fe2a85735e94-image.png

It looks like the assumption is that the MQTT broker is on the same device as the Controller:
    https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/group__RaspberryPiGateway.html:
    MySensors options:

--my-controller-url-address=<URL>
                                Controller or MQTT broker url.
    --my-controller-ip-address=<IP>
                                Controller or MQTT broker ip.

But maybe I misunderstand.

I was trying to use the following:

./configure --my-gateway=ethernet --my-controller-ip-address=<HomeAssistant IP>  --my-transport=rfm69 --my-rfm69-frequency=433 --my-is-rfm69hw --my-gateway=mqtt --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=mygateway1

Where <HomeAssistant IP> is 192.168.XX.AA in my picture

But that doesn't allow me to specify the MQTT broker on a different device than the Controller/Home Assistant...

Perhaps I got this all wrong?

• Mod

--my-gateway=ethernet means a TCP connection between the gateway and the controller. Only one my-gateway option should be specified. If you want to use mqtt, use only --my-gateway=mqtt

Set --my-controller-ip-address to the ip if the mqtt broker.

See the MQTT section on https://www.mysensors.org/build/raspberry#configure for more information.

• @mfalkvidd Many thanks for your quick and helpful reply! Could I ask you two more clarifying questions:

• So if define the rpi as a mqtt gateway, can I see this mqtt GW still as my GW for my RFM69 sensors?
    • Or do I need to split out the ethernet GW for my RFM69 sensors from the mqtt GW?

0_1552302707752_becf5f20-43d0-4233-98fa-3734b2357dfc-image.png

• Mod

@rjgmba yes it will still be gw for your rfm69 sensors, the picture to the left is correct.

• Thanks for clarifying, @mfalkvidd, so that means that I won't use the Ethernet GW, but only the MQTT GW configuration, changing it to

./configure --my-gateway=mqtt --my-controller-ip-address=192.168.X.BB --my-transport=rfm69 --my-rfm69-frequency=433 --my-is-rfm69hw --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=mymqttgateway1

Where <MQTT / MySensors GW IP address> is the MySensors RPI IP address.

But that also means that in Home-Assistant I will need to change the configuration yaml file and take out the Ethernet GW reference:

So from

mysensors:
      gateways:
        - device: '192.168.X.BB'
          persistence_file: 'mysensors3.json'
          tcp_port: 5003
        - device: mqtt
          persistence_file: 'mysensors1.json'
          topic_in_prefix: 'mysensors-out'
          topic_out_prefix: 'mysensors-in'
      optimistic: false
      persistence: true
      retain: true
      version: '2.0'

to

mysensors:
      gateways:
        - device: mqtt
          persistence_file: 'mysensors1.json'
          topic_in_prefix: 'mysensors-out'
          topic_out_prefix: 'mysensors-in'
      optimistic: false
      persistence: true
      retain: true
      version: '2.0'

But how will Home-Assistant now know what the IP address is for the MySensors RPI gateway?

Apologies if I completely missing something obvious....

• Mod

@rjgmba Home Assistant should connect to the mosquitto broker

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics