anyone here a fan of ESP32's?

I think I may like to try the ESP32S when it becomes available. However, in looking at the ESP32's that have been released to date, I don't see a lot to be excited by. I guess maybe because I'm not a huge fan of bluetoooth. Am I missing something?

• Hardware Contributor

@NeverDie
    so you haven't played with it yet? then you're missing something 🙂

well depends what you need to do, sure, but actually when I need to use a mcu, at work too, I almost always use it. I don't use sleep mode.

that's a while I've used 8bits mcu.. because for ESP32 price:

• dual core,
    • you can do all sort of "realtime" stuff, and monitor through wifi,
    • for example run complex communication on a core while running another complex main app on the other core, thx to rtos too
    • well supported in arduino platfom,
    • embed servers, webapps..(or just make an api with a native app for ui and uses spiflash for others things)
    • widely available module with multiple options (spiflash ,ram etc) for cheap

I don't know a mcu which meets all these ticks

I've not tried the ESP32S version so far, because I've many non-S here, and if I remember the S is not dualcore, still it adds a few things.

I've almost all what I need with ESP32, only missing a few periph and pins. but there are always workarounds.
    And, it's better to choose the solution which fits best to the usecase of course. I'm not saying I would choose it for all my projects.

@scalz
    In looking at the ESP32-SOLO-1 datasheet (https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/891/esp32-solo-1_datasheet_en-1384705.pdf), about the only difference I see is that it's single core. As far as I can tell it has the same energy profile as the earlier two core version. Unless perhaps it's just a baby step toward a future, lower power chip, I'm not at all sure why Expressif even bothered making it.

If anything, the electrical requirements on the newer chip modules has gotten worse. I say that because the supply voltage for the newer modules must be in the range of 3-3.5 volts. In contrast, the earlier ROVER supp.y voltage requirements have held steady at 2.2v-3.6v.

• Hardware Contributor

@NeverDie
    I don't remember exctly, but voltage requirements for mcu only might be the same (approx). On modules, it can differ, depending on external spiflash&ram voltage requirements.

I thought you were talking about the esp32-s2, announced a few months ago, which has usb and few more IOs for example but it's single core.
    the simple S version is maybe used as coprocessor, like on particle boards, if I'm not wrong

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics