MySensors micro step-up module revision 1.0

• Mod

Through a discussion on the forum we found a potential interest to the step-up module with excellent battery saving capabilities
    We decided to present to you such a module
    It is actually same technology as will be used for MySensors Battery board, but it allows to choose any other board for your battery operated project.
    Module is using one of the best in class chip with hight efficiency and low quiescent current, this allows to run your device for longer time
    Module is designed with standard 2.54 pitch connector, can be easily connected using dupon wires
    Output voltage can be selected by switch 3.3V or 5V
    As power source you can use:

• for 3.3V output - 1-2 alkaline, 1-3 NiMh/NiCd or solar up to 3.3V
    • for 5V - 1-3 alkaline, 1-4 NiMh/NiCd or solar up to 5V

100mA output for 3.3V or 70mA for 5V are at minimum guaranteed

Size is just 15x15mm

Estimated retail price before shipping cost is $5
    Anyone interested?

Prototype is on photo fully tested

Untitled.jpg
    фото 12.JPG
    фото 1.JPG
    фото 2.JPG

Great news! How and where will these be sold?

I got some sample boost chips from TI today, but soldering them seems hopeless and finding the recommended components isn't easy or cheap so I reckon this is a pretty good deal. And a lot easier to put into production than the whole battery powered board. Also, no need to update the design for this ever, should it work as intended.

Kudos for soldering this ...
    IMG_20140715_100826.jpg

Excellent idea.

• Mod

@bjornhallberg we are in discussion with one of the DIY company, they have a production abilities and also a distribution network.
    quality should be OK

we will announce all details as soon as we will enter final agreement

P.S. The temperature sensor from our board is even smaller in size. I'm soldering all them using regular china soldering iron
    it is hard to imagine, it was hard to imagine for myself too just 6 month ago
    also this I do 🙂
    фото.JPG

• Mod

@bjornhallberg said:

I got some sample boost chips from TI today, but soldering them seems hopeless.

I have not done this myself yet (this weekend it is my turn) but I found some excellent video's on the subject of soldering SMD's. Just google for 'soldering dmd' ( if you have not already done that 🙂

@marceltrapman I'd be willing to give it a try, but the most immediate hurdle is finding the right capacitors and inductor. Finding small quantities cheaply has proven more hopeless than soldering. And the components you get on Ebay, could you ever trust them? Ceramic caps in the uF range turned out to be more expensive than I had anticipated etc etc ... therefore ... you'd be hard pressed to do it yourself for less than $5. Not to mention the work. Plus you have the 5V option that I never considered.

@axillent That is some crazy small chip! Just out of curiosity, where did you buy that soldering iron (because I need a new one as well, sigh).

• Mod

@bjornhallberg

@axillent That is some crazy small chip! Just out of curiosity, where did you buy that soldering iron (because I need a new one as well, sigh).

I purchased it at local store
    surprisingly some goods are cheaper to buy locally than from ebay or ali
    it is a complete soldering station at a value of about $90
    фото.JPG

• Mod

@axillent Did you do some measurements on the stability of the supply when powering an Arduino + radio?

• Mod

@Yveaux what kind of stability you are interested in?
    the output voltage will be stable while the source is able to source at a level above 0.7V

• Mod

@axillent There was a lot of discussion in another thread about radio troubles caused by fluctuations in power supply. Performance could be improved significantly by adding a capacitor to the supply of the radio. It would be nice if the whole could be powered by just this module, without requiring extra capacitors.
    So, please do some tests with a radio connected running a mysensors sketch with your step-up module (or maybe the whole board once you connect the radio) and compare the results to when directly powered from batteries (without step-up). The range and amount of lost packets should be comparable.

• Mod

@Yveaux
    the need of the capacitor for radio is depends on how long are the wires (or PCB tracks) from power source to radio

my step-up module have a sufficient capacitor (good quality low ESR X7R) on the output
    if wires will be not long there will be no need of an additional capacitor
    otherwise an additional capacitor need to be soldered close to radio

on Battery board I add a second capacitor for unquestionable performance

• @axillent Looks like a much-needed part for our battery sensors. Is there any chance of moving the pins together to emulate the current step converter in the store? Ie, having three pins in a row: Vout GND Vin. This makes it a drop-in replacement for the existing part.

@Bandra said:

moving the pins together to emulate the current step converter in the store? Ie, having three pins in a row: Vout GND Vin. This makes it a drop-in replacement for the existing part.

Wow..Nice! Nice fingernails too...i could never photo mine...all chewed up!!! 😉

With respect to the capacitior for the radio - i saw @axillent you are soldering a tantalum cap directly to the radio - i really like that method!
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/185/battery-sensor-v-1-0-pcb/29

Alex - i guess this chip cannot output both 3.3 and 5V at the same time, so would it be possible to have a module with two of these chips each one at 3.3 and the other at 5v ??
    -Then it can be used for 5v sensors/devices.

Greg

What is the chip used?

• Mod

@Zeph it is the same as for Battery board - tps61222. It has lowest quiescent current on the market

• @axillent said:

tps61222

In the past i was thinking on TPS78233. The idea was solder it on a pro mini board, then i think it could be difficult to solder something too small and quit the idea 😄

• Mod

@Bandra

@Bandra said:

@axillent Looks like a much-needed part for our battery sensors. Is there any chance of moving the pins together to emulate the current step converter in the store? Ie, having three pins in a row: Vout GND Vin. This makes it a drop-in replacement for the existing part.

unfortunately there is no standard convention of this type. It is hard to match all different needs
    input and output connectors are a generic tradeoff

• Mod

@gregl

@gregl said:

Alex - i guess this chip cannot output both 3.3 and 5V at the same time, so would it be possible to have a module with two of these chips each one at 3.3 and the other at 5v ??
    -Then it can be used for 5v sensors/devices.

current draw from the battery is a multiplication from the stepup ratio
    this means that current draw from the buttery with 5V output is 1.5 times higher comparing to 3.3V with the same current on the output
    also current on the output much less depends on the voltage etc. MCU will draw 1-5mA regardless (with some extend) the VCC voltage
    this leads into conclusion that as lower VCC used as better will be battery life

In my opinion 2.4V will be even more optimal for Battery board, but it is much more convenient to have 3.3V

While you need 5V you need to choose:

• best choice is to find all needed components able to work from 3.3V. For example PIR sensor is usually run from 4.5-20V. But there is no problem to purchase PIR running from 0.7-6V
    • least optimal choice is to select 5V as a basic operation. This way you can use cheap LDO (like XC6206P332MR) to source radio

having two channels in stepup as you requested will double cost because you will need double number of components

and you always can use two universal modules simultaneously, one configured to 3.3V and other to 5V

Interested.. any ETA?

• Admin

@ServiceXp

A sample has been ordered from factory. When Alexander is back from vacation we'll verify and order production. A wild guess 1-1.5 month.

• Mod

I'm finally back from a long trip
    Sorry to be silent

Seeed stepup boards are awaiting me at home.
    Just need to run final performance tests
    фото 2-12.JPG фото 1-15.JPG

@axillent Fantastic! But they will come pre-soldered I hope 😛

• Mod

@bjornhallberg yes sure
    this is for so called engineering samples

• wich inductor do you use for this chip. Your inductor seems verry small!

• How far away are these today?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics