Mapping your Personal Network

• I'm sure I'm not alone in having spent the last few years in a fruitless search for the one "hub of all hubs" through which all of my connected devices would be supported and controlled through an easily customizable, accessible interface. With more and more connected devices requiring some kind of configuration popping up every day, it appears like we've already passed the point wherein we can hope for a common industry standard. Making sense of all the inputs and outputs therefore becomes the task of the individual user. My goal is to test, design and/or build a workflow through which the end user can inventory available devices and their capabilities while adding metadata such as A. Network type and compatibility B.specification of device type (e.g actuator, sensor, interface etc...) and C. general contextual and scene data (e.g home, work, health, travel etc...).
    Once the data has been entered, the network visualization should be available through a wide variety of formats beyond the traditional home network hierarchy branching out of the home router. Users should be able to view for example, location-based layouts like maps or floorplans with a time slider overlay, or vice versa through a calendar view. Especially important, would be a graphical view displaying inputs, outputs, hubs and the how they are connected. Such a view should not only show whether a connection is active, but also the communication protocol and/or if there are other methods available.
    Ideally, such a workflow could develop into something in the spirit of Fritzing, NodeRED or perhaps a less commercially-oriented IFTTT, wherein users need not be fluent in Network Topologies or any specific architecture.
    Out of all of the Open Source Home Automation communities out there, I believe the MySensors "IOYT" approach probably aligns more closely to this goal then any others I am aware of.
    So with all that said, I'm interested in hearing if others are aware of existing open source tools, templates or tutorials which might serve the purposes I've described. Likewise, please do reply to this thread with any suggestions or expressions of interest.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics