[SOLVED] Gateway as a sensor node in v1.6

• In the notes for ver 1.6 (or 2.00 beta now i guess) it is mentioned the following:
    Note's link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NKq5uuNdnxF5jWnum7VT32mbKLjuvqlx2A5D1qQ-H3Q/edit#heading=h.t5sdmpn6jz2i

Gateway just another sensor node! So now you can have wired ethernet sensors and wireless ESP8266 sensors without any radio attach if you want.

Does this mean that I can attach an esp8266 or another uno with ethernet in a very far place and it will act as a repeater if a radio is connnected ?

DId anybody try this, cas this is awesome ?

• Mod

It can either act as a repeater (repeating nrf24 or rfm radio signals to other nrf24/rfm nodes) or as a gateway (sending messages received from nrf24/rfm via wifi/ethernet to a controller). It can not be both repeater and gateway.

Gateway as a sensor node means that sensors can be physically connected directly to the gateway node.

• @mfalkvidd ohhh I see.

I thought that I do have a Gateway already using Ethernet for example, and then I can add another uno with ethernet which has a radio and act as a sensor node also. So instead of sending data wirelessly they are sent through ethernet.

Thank you.

• Mod

You can have several gateways so yes that will work.

• @mfalkvidd ohhh again πŸ™‚ I have to try this soon.

Great. Thank you.

• @mfalkvidd I am curious to try this. Would I need to update my existing GW to 1.6 or just a new GW?

• Mod

@Dwalt A gateway that has sensors directly connected to it needs to use 1.6 (=development version).

You can have several gateways and the gateways don't need to use the same version. If the gateways have nrf24 radios, the radios need to be configured to use different channels though. But that's not an issue if you don't connect a radio to the new gateway.

Sensor nodes do not need to use the same MySensor version as the gateway, they can use higher or lower version.

I hope that answers your question πŸ™‚

• @mfalkvidd if the second GW has another channel, by this it wont be communicating with the first GW ?

In another words. I am just thinking about having a main GW and sub GWs for large distance converage. So they shall be on the same channel, right ?

• Mod

There is no such thing as a sub gw. There can only be one gw per channel. Gws cannot communicate with eachother.

To me it sounds like you want repeater nodes.

• Yeah i want to use them as repeater nodes but I just thought that if I can add a wires etheenet repeater 60m (for example) away from the gateway rather than adding 2 or 3 nodes as a repeater nodes to cover a distance of 60m.

• Mod

@ahmedadelhosni there is no such thing as an ethernet repeater in the MySensors world.

I'm sorry but I think I've run out of ways to explain this.

• No I understood your answer from the beggining. Thanks a lot πŸ™‚

I was just chatting about what I really wanted the library to support.

Thanks a lot for your time.

• Mod

From some of your posts, it sounds like you should just add a second gateway and you're done. But you keep calling it a repeater and I 'm unable to figure out how to proceed.

• Mod

https://www.mysensors.org/about/network might help a little bit

• @mfalkvidd said:

From some of your posts, it sounds like you should just add a second gateway and you're done.

Yeah that was the answer for my question at the beginning.

But you keep calling it a repeater and I 'm unable to figure out how to proceed.

After your answer - which is above - I understood that the concept which I need is not supported. I will draw a diagram showing why I called it a repeater sometimes.

• Mod

A picture would be great πŸ™‚ Thanks for your patience.

• 0_1453657946793_upload-f848924b-d708-4d1b-bf58-b31fa3c3faf6

I hope this explains my request πŸ™‚

First half shows the normal MYsensor library where S1 needs to pass through RC > RB > RA to reach GW1. Also it shows another example to use only one repeater so that S2 reached GW1 through RD. All of this needs several repeaters to be placed at different distances to conver a long distance.
    I guess we agree to this πŸ™‚

My question was about the second half in the picture. I have GW1 which is UNO + W5100 connected to a network switch. Then there is the Yellow and Blue thing. Imagine replacing all these repeater nodes by another UNO + W5100 which is the Yellow and Blue circle. Thus S1 needs to pass by this yellow and blue circle (2) to reach GW1. That's why I named it as a repeater, as it sends data from a long distance to the GW. Don't know what is the correct description for this πŸ™‚

Thus my thoughts were : The yellow and blue thing since it is connected to a network it can communicate with the ethernet gateway through network. ( Actually I found that this is implemented using ESP ) I guess the ESP itself can be used as a repeater node. So it can be placed in a far place and send data to the GW through the network. I didn't use the ESP with MYs but I guess it is a valid example πŸ™‚

Hope this simplifies my question.

• Mod

Thanks for explaining. So if I understand you correctly, you want a simple way for Domoticz to reach S1?

I hope this picture shows what the network would look like with a second gateway.

0_1453660466990_1453657937893-upload-f848924b-d708-4d1b-bf58-b31fa3c3faf6_mfalkvidd.png

That's it. You're done. No need for a new Yellow and Blue thing.

I must be missing something.

• Mod

Maybe this better describes how adding a second gateway would work

0_1453662278625_1453657937893-upload-f848924b-d708-4d1b-bf58-b31fa3c3faf6_mfalkvidd2.png

• Yeah you solved this issue now. That's exactly what I needed πŸ™‚

The second picture explains it all. I wasn't able to understand how will I have several GWs although you explained it above from the beginning, but I wasn't aware how to do it. I remembered now from your last picture that domoticz can support several hardware. Thus I can make another GW and add it to the hardware in Domoticz as you have explained in your last picture.

Thanks a lot for your time. Now it is very clear πŸ™‚

• Mod

Victory! πŸ†
    You're welcome πŸ™‚

• Should a Repeater have it's on unique ID or the same ID as the NODE that it's repeating?

• Mod

It has its own id. Please don't post the same question in multiple places. It wastes people's time.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics