Possible readymade sensor?

• Hi guys,

I new to this, so you may end up reading my question and then start to think "what is wrong with him?" 🙂

Anyways... this question may only be something another aussie can answer...]

I was looking through the Jaycar catalogue today and I saw some things that looked interesting. I was thinking that these sensors may be able to be used using a Mysensors Gateway.
    Jaycar.jpg

What do you guys think? Or am I way off track?

• Mod

These sensors operate on the 433mhz band, while mysensors currently only operates on the 2.4ghz band.
    There are plans to support 433mhz radios, but then the next hurdle to take will be the protocol, as these sensors use another than my sensors.
    Most probably they will only contain a transmitter (sensors) or receiver (gateway) which also disqualifies then for use with my sensors...

• @Yveaux said:

These sensors operate on the 433mhz band, while mysensors currently only operates on the 2.4ghz band.
    There are plans to support 433mhz radios, but then the next hurdle to take will be the protocol, as these sensors use another than my sensors.
    Most probably they will only contain a transmitter (sensors) or receiver (gateway) which also disqualifies then for use with my sensors...

Ok, thanks 🙂

• Admin

@Homer

You could attach a 433Mhz receiver to one of your nodes and use it as a "gateway" to your 433mhz-stuff.

The question is if these sensors are recognized by the 433-library we've included (or some other).
    See this example:

https://codebender.cc/sketch:47526

• Thanks @Hek

I might give that a go!

• @Homer did you end up trying this?

• @hek said:

You could attach a 433Mhz receiver to one of your nodes and use it as a "gateway" to your 433mhz-stuff.

Could you put the 433Mhz Transmitter on the gateway as opposed to locating on a separate node?

@Dwalt said:

Could you put the 433Mhz Transmitter on the gateway as opposed to locating on a separate node?

You would in any case need to "invent" your own gateway because these 433MHz sensors all speak there own language ( use different communication protocols).

Also if you want to use ready made sensors in the 433MHz band with the Vera I would recommend the RFXtrx433 USB interface. It has support for many protocols on the 433MHz band.

It does not say what brand the sensors in the picture above are so it is tricky to know what protocol they use.

I use one of these RFXtrx433 devices and also the MySensors gateway on a Vera.

• I haven't explored this as an option any further, but I will do some looking around now for the usb interface now 🙂

• Maybe it's because I'm in australia, but I can't find one of those usb adapters here in oz. Any suggestions of a good supplier where I could get one?

• @Homer
    You can buy RFXtrx433 from www.m.nu located in Sweden. Good luck.

• Hardware Contributor

Is it just me or has anyone else experienced horrible EMI from cheap 433Mhz stuff ? Receive-only things included.

• I'm bumping my old post from 5 years ago, because I'm finally going to do something with these. I ended up buying 4 lots that have two power plugs plus a box that converts an IR signal into rf433. I've been chatting to a member here for a couple days about this project, and he had been very helpful.

Currently I'm trying to decide if I should create a rf433 hub, or use my Harmony Remote setup and not worry about the rf433 at all.

• Plugin Developer

Do you mean the 433 hub I created?

I've been testing it with random devices I've ordered of Aliexpress, and it's so cool to see that it just immediately takes each and every one.

The 433Hub can also copy and detect IR signals by the way. You just need to change two settings.

• I'm going to have a bit more of a look at what you have developed to see if it's something I can build. The problem is that I don't have things like screens etc, but I did see that they were optional.

• Plugin Developer

Indeed. I do highly recommend buying the $10 touchscreen and attaching it later. It allows the device to visually ask you to press the on and off buttons when it's ready to record their codes.

• Been doing a bit more research on this. The place I bought the plugs from actually have some projects that they have shared. One of them can be found here : https://www.jaycar.com.au/wi-fi-power-switch I'm hoping to find the time tomorrow to look at their sketch to see what I can come up with myself for the Mysensors environment.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics