RFM69 wireless

• @kolaf Hi I like to use the RFM69 wireless transceiver as you get a bigger range than with the the NRF24L01+. What is your setup like and can I use the software in your github libary https://github.com/kolaf/mysensors. What is the things that I have to look out for before I start?

@Fwessels I'm glad to see that someone else also finds that transceiver interesting. The source code in the repository is fully usable and up-to-date as a version 1.4+ something (I believe). Still, be aware that this will probably not become an official version since work is ongoing to figure out what is the best way of supporting multiple link layers.

Nevertheless, feel free to use the code in that repository. You can look at the serial gateway to see how a sensor is initiated. Everything is identical to the official 1.4 version except for the initialisation phase where you define the radio driver. You also need to include the Radiohead library in your Arduino installation. Depending on which radio version you have you will have to tweak some of the initialisation parameters (power and frequency). The MQTTgateway has not been ported to work with the Radiohead library, so this is not working in my repository.

Let me know how it goes, and you should keep an eye on the Radiohead topic in the developers forum to see how this develops.

@kolaf said:

I'm glad to see that someone else also finds that transceiver interesting

I think a lot of us find it interesting (hence the Radiohead effort), and we will see how the support evolves over time. It's lower speed but longer range.

What kind of range and speed are you getting currently, by the way?

• @Zeph this guy a LowpowerLab and getting up to 1.5 mil. Have a look at this forum link.https://lowpowerlab.com/forum/index.php/topic,112.0.html

• @kolaf in what library will I have to set my frequency?

• @kolaf I just try to compile the SerialGateway to see if it will work and I am getting this error why?

upload-4356e726-f8ee-4388-b9dd-aba333e99738

@Fwessels I don't know. My best guess is that is has something to do with your Arduino IDE version. I'm using version 1.5.7 without problems.

As for speed and range, I have not tested speed, but my range is about 60 m at the lowest power setting of the HW-version. This is with standard radio parameters.

• @kolaf where do I set the radio frequency in what libary. I look through all the library and I don't see where you set the radio frequency.

I am also busy downloading the latest IDE

Example:

void setup()  
    {  

if(gw.setRadio(&driver)) {
    	driver.setFrequency(868);
    	driver.setTxPower(14);
    	gw.begin();
      }
     // Setup the button
      pinMode(BUTTON_PIN,INPUT);
      // Activate internal pull-up
      digitalWrite(BUTTON_PIN,HIGH);
      sensors.begin();
      // After setting up the button, setup debouncer
      gw.sendSketchInfo("Wave switch 3", "1.1");
      // Register binary input sensor to gw (they will be created as child devices)
      // You can use S_DOOR, S_MOTION or S_LIGHT here depending on your usage. 
      // If S_LIGHT is used, remember to update variable type you send in. See "msg" above.
      gw.present(CHILD_ID, S_LIGHT); 
      gw.present(CHILD_TEMPERATURE, S_TEMP);
      gw.request(2,V_LIGHT);
    }

• @kolaf thanks

• @Francois I get this errors as well using Arduino IDE v1.0.6 and many many more errors when I use IDE v1.5.7. Did you figure out a solution? I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bit.

• @Demondreamer No I spend days on this trying to figure out why I am getting all the errors. I upgrade from IDE 1.5.6 to 1.5.7 and was getting the same errors. Im also running Win 8.1 64 bit. I was hoping that the team that was working on this would have released a new version by now but I don't see any activity on this front.

This may have already been answered by have you guys tried another IDE? Something like Atmel + Visual Micro

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics