[Solved] GatewayESP8266MQTTClient from development tree does nothing

• Hi,

I'm using the Arduino 1.6.5 ide on 64bit Linux using/trying the esp8266 2.2.0, 2.1.0 and 2.0.0 board mananger versions.
    I used the mysensors DEV git branch of May 14th and compiled and flashed the GatewayESP8266MQTTClient.ino.
    The only adaptions I made were the network settings for static IP and the broker address.
    Compiling works fine and flashing to my Nodemcu 1.0 Devboard as well.
    But absolutely nothing happens: I don't see anything on my serial monitor (I tried several baud rates). I can't ping it (static address 192.168.144.245). It doesn't connect to my mosquitto broker. Absolutely nothing.
    So I took an identical Nodemcu and set it up: Again absolutely nothing.

The first nodemcu worked fine with the 1.5 branch Esp8266Gateway.ino. So I flashed the second nodemcu as well with this ino to rule out hardware issues: Both work fine.
    I finally do a "sudo arp-scan --localnet" to check for the mac addresses on my network and now it turns out that it didn't get a static ip-adress, but a dhcp address being 192.168.144.13

However: still nothing on the serial monitor or at the mosquitto broker (and the broker functions fine. I tested that)

So I assume there is something wrong with the static ip settings in the DEV branch, but for the time being I can live with that.
    For the record, these are my IP settings:

// Enable MY_IP_ADDRESS here if you want a static ip address (no DHCP)
    #define MY_IP_ADDRESS 192, 168, 144, 245

// If using static ip you need to define Gateway and Subnet address as well
    #define MY_IP_GATEWAY_ADDRESS 192, 168, 144, 1
    #define MY_IP_SUBNET_ADDRESS 255, 255, 255, 0

// MQTT broker ip address.  
    #define MY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS 192, 168, 144, 128

My issues are the complete abundance of serial output and the not connecting to my broker.
    Can anyone please explain if I do something wrong? Or is this a straight bug in the DEV repository? (And I'm not talking about the static ip settings)

• I saw a commit to the DEV repo so I did a git pull this morning, started arduino and recompiled and flashed.
    It's working. Immediately!

The fixed ip-adress was there and the the serial monitor displayed nicely the debug and node messages.
    The mosquitto broker receives the info which I can see using the mosquitto_sub command.

It beats me, as I can't imagine the yesterday evening commit fixed it, but I'm glad it works.
    For reference: This morning I used the 2.2.0 esp8266 board managers version.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics