Support for ARDUINO_SAM (e.g. ARDUINO DUE)

• Hardware Contributor

Re: MySensors support for Arduino Due?

Playing around with my Arduino Due I tried to add support in mysensors:

Searching for ARDUINO_ARCH_SAMD in all the source files and adding an or to the if ARDUINO_ARCH_SAM I can compile it now.

The serial gateway output is:

0;255;3;0;9;MCO:BGN:INIT GW,CP=RNNGS--,VER=2.0.1-beta
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:INIT
    0;255;3;0;9;!TSM:INIT:TSP FAIL
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:FAILURE
    0;255;3;0;9;TSM:FAILURE:PDT

Which seems to be ok, as I don't habe a radio attached.

@hek
    Is there a plan to support the Arduino Due? If there is enough interest, I can try to make a patch for it, if I get it working with the NRF24L01+

• Admin

Not sure,

The due is retired and there hasn't been much interest from the community during the last 3 years.

• Personally I would very much be interested in this support as I have an old Due on my shelf sitting there doing nothing. 🙂

As the SAM and SAMD are both ARM Cortex-M processors from the same manufacturer, I would assume that enabling MySensors for the Arduino Due should be possible without too much trouble.

Have you had any luck with the nrf24 ? As you said, it's 3.3V like the Due so it should work without too much trouble either.

I have ordered some nrf24 and will receive them in the next few weeks. As I have never used MySensors until now, I'll first be playing around with a bunch of Arduino Nano but then in a few weeks I might try the Due.

• @RWoerz Anything new on this issue? As I need the added I/O the DUE seemed like a great fit.

• Hardware Contributor

@RWoerz
    The due is in my opinion really underestimated. It is fast and has enough memory. The 328p is nearly at his limits with mysensors but it is nice for small, battery powered sensors.

With it's processing power, the due would be a nice fit for complex nodes: scene controller with TFT and nice animations, power meters with TrueRMS calculations...

I switched from NRF24L01 to RFM69 and all my transmission issues are gone. With RFM69 there is no SOFTSPI support for mysensors at the moment and you can't make an MQTT/ethernet gateway with the usual AVR-hardware. The due is not a solution neither.
    What do I do with my dues? I am building a due based controller/MQTT gateway, where you can attach up to 3 serial gateways.

• @FotoFieber My GW seems fine but if I need to I can put up a ESP8266 as my GW. I need the Mega/DUE's I/O for a Solar heating project I'm working on that needs lots of I/O. I just bought the DUE thinking it would just work now that they support ARM CPU's but alas that's not the case.

I may have to just go to an all IP network and forget about the mysensors stuff for the Solar heating project. It would be sad as they've done so much great work. I also have Photon's I can't use because of the same issue. It's not really their problem it's mine. They are headed in the right direction as I think the 8 bit Arduino's of the world are going the way of the Dodo bird very soon.

I just moved off of a Vera and on to OpenHab. For some reason the Vera just wasn't stable in my environment.

• My Arduino Due is running MySensors. I added ARDUINO_ARCH_SAM support (as suggested above) based on the ARDUINO_ARCH_SAMD code already in place. I was already using a RTC module with eeprom, so I altered the code to use this eeprom. I will do some more testing the next few days.....

• What board do I pick in the Arduino IDE when I go to compile my code. It doesn't work if I pick DUE? Thanks.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics