💬 Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway

• Mod

wasn't it the problem of the missing permission on the dialup group?

• Unfortunately adding my nodered user to dialout did not bring the hoped success. I still get premission denied messages after a reboot of my raspberry.

As my console print above shows the /dev/pts device belongs to tty but adding nodered to tty did not work out either (since the group only has write privileg). I have no idea how to fix this other then chowning the port to nodered but that feels wrong for me after years using linux based systems.

• Mod

it is not a solution, but you could switch to ethernet GW and you will avoid all the permissions problems.

• Admin

My 5 cents:
    Run it as a MQTT gateway, if possible. It makes things so much easier, when you interact with the data in node-red. Even integrating other controllers is easier, as you have the MQTT as standard backbone bus between everything.

You need to have a MQTT broker (mosquitto) running as well.. But it's worth it..

• Yes I came to the conclusion that this might be my only option even if it sucks as I have to subscribe to all events from MySensors, process them with Node-RED and republish again which screws my logging a bit. Right now I have another flow subscribed to "#" and write every event into my DB.

Since I have everything talking to mosquitto setup to follow Homie Convention I was hoping for only having my MQTT broker bombarded with compliant messages and have Node-RED convert everything (assign device names, etc. using a SQLite DB) from serial so the rather cryptic MySensors topics do not show up there.

• Mod

@mirodin you actually need only mysensors-in and mysensors-out topics and their subtopics

• @gohan Yes I know but now I can no longer just wildcard-dump every event on my mosquitto instance into my DB as I need to filter out the mysensor-in and -out topics.

• Mod

Or meanwhile just use the ethernet gw

• Well... I think I fixed it, let's hear it for documentation. Just when I had MQTT setup half way I got struck by the idea that there was some group flag for configure. And indeed there is, setting --my-serial-groupname=nodered did the trick making /dev/pts/X owned by group nodered and let Node-RED connect to it, writing and reading works just fine now.

Thanks @gohan for your input I think I would have gone the ethernet route in the end if this last test had failed.

• I am currently trying to update to 2.3
    Have stopped service and deleted the file (systemctl status mysgw -> Unit mysgw.service could not be found.)
    Also renamed the config file /etc/mysensors.dat
    Renamed the old folder, then copied new files.
    Checked readme.md in MySensors-folder: MySensors Library v2.3.0
    Then I configured the radio and -> make, no errors
    However, changing to bin folder and executing mysgw shows: Protocol 2.2.0
    What am I missing?

• @inso Did you sudo make install after building it? This command copies the service file and mysgw to their respective locations.

• Mod

@inso remember to unregister the service and then make a new make install of the new gw

• Mod

@gohan how is the unregistration done? I didn’t know that was needed. We should probably add upgrade instructions to the build page.

• @mirodin
    make install before testing did the trick, now it is 2.3.0 . 😃
    Was just going step by step through tutorial, there it´s make -> test -> make install. Didn´t realized it would use old parts if it´s not first install ☺

@gohan
    thought stop, disable and remove the service would be enough to ensure the service is completely "uninstalled" - could you give me a hint what I´ve missed? 😅

• Hi,
    I try to access log info from my gateway installed on my domoticz raspberry pi, but I get no success..
    First, I can't find the mysensors.conf file : nothing in the /etc folder. I tried to use "find / -name 'mysensors.conf' 2>/dev/null" command, but it finds nothing.
    I tried creating such a file (then it's found by the fond command above) and in which I have the lines

log_pipe=0
    log_pipe_file=/tmp/mysgw.pipe

as instructed above.
    I restarted the wole Raspberry PI, then tried the command cat /tmp/mysgw.pipe but error message:

cat: /tmp/mysgw.pipe: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

(= no file or folder like that)
    I then tried this: sudo mysgw -c /etc/mysensors.conf and I got also error message:

mysgw: invalid option -- 'c'

I installed the Mysensor gateway on 17th October 2017 and my raspberry pi is working on Wheezy. In Domoticz, I see the Mysensor gateway has version 2.1.1.
    MY gateway seems working fine, communicating properly with sensors (both ways). I'm trying to find log because I face an issue with a new sensor which works properly when powered with external FTDI 3.3V and only 1 way (sensor to gateway only) when powered on battery (I raised question in another post, where I was suggested to check log fil on gtw side..)

Any idea of what I should do (except "reinstall whole raspberry pi with latest OS..) ?
    Thanks a lot,
    Ricorico

• Mod

@ricorico94 there seems to have been some major changes in the raspberry pi gateway, without vorresponding updates to the documentation.

I have not been able to locate the exact changes though. @marceloaqno might know.

• Mod

• @mfalkvidd : thanks a lot ! I had searched for such version history and couldn't find it.
    Indeed it seems introduction of the switches for log files was introduced in February, so I should probably update my install.

Precisely, talking about upgrade process: I read in previous posts that we should uninstall/unregister the install/service. WHat would be commands to do so ? Should it be:

sudo systemctl disable mysgw.service

and executed before anything else ? So upgrade process would be:

sudo systemctl disable mysgw.service
    make
    sudo make install
    sudo systemctl enable mysgw.service

(and maybe test the gateway before the "systemctl enable..")
    Is there anyfile to remove manually ? or any other command to apply before or after ?

• Plugin Developer

Would someone be willing to create a post that lists each step required to set up the simple encryption+signing option? I understand I have to add a password line to the arduino sketch. But how exactly one sets up the server side is still a bit of a mystery to me. It would rock if there was a similar simple command to give during the make process.

• Contest Winner

@alowhum https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/group__RaspberryPiGateway.html
    That is straight from the documentation. Which in the case of Linux ports is also what you get if you issue ./configure --help
    I believe.

• @alowhum
    I also need this info...

• Code Contributor

@ricorico94 to update your install run:

sudo make install
    sudo systemctl restart mysgw.service

• Thank you for the clarification !

• Plugin Developer

@anticimex said in 💬 Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway:

https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/group__RaspberryPiGateway.html

@Anticimex Thanks, but a documentation page (which I have checked before) is not the same as an easy to use guide for beginners.

In my ideal world it would be this:

1. Add the MY_SIMPLE_PASSWORD line to your Arduino sketch.
    2. Compile the gateway with --MY_SIMPLE_PASSWORD="yabadabad000!"
    3. Done

• Contest Winner

@alowhum it is not easy to have simple guides tailored for specific usecases when there are so many options.
    Those tend to not follow implementation and our documentation is made to live with the implementation to ensure it is always up to date. Maintaining a simple guide for every conceivable use case is simply not feasible. The signing and security documentation does have a step by step guide for setting up security.

• Plugin Developer

@Anticimex: I understand, but:

• Currently even the outline of the steps eludes me. Seeing the steps for usecase #14 or #385 would already help me understand the scope, and to see what ballpark of difficulty it's in. It's easier to mod a guide when there is something to go on.
    • Secondly, there must be a common use case? The defaults that MySensors uses already suggests a lot of these: a Raspberry Pi with the default settings of the software (ethernet), with the nRF24 radio.

• Contest Winner

@alowhum ok, well first of all, I don't have a rPi setup to test on, secondly I don't have time to look into that (this) environment.
    But, this is a open source project so anyone is free to contribute with both code and documentation (which in our case lives in the same repositories) so if there are guides missing enyone is welcome to contribute with experiences and guides to help others out.
    It is just important to understand that the guides need to be maintained in order to remain valid.
    I don't mind guides at all. But it makes little sense for me to write guides for an environment which I am not familiar with nor can test on.

• Plugin Developer

@Anticimex: Sure, that's totally understandable. There are other people on the forum 🙂 Can anyone help me and @pepson out?

And it is exactly my goal to create a more elaborate guide after someone points out the basic steps.

• I have designed a 3D printable enclosure for this and the design/STL files are available here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3072244

• Admin

@John-Oliva, nice! Added it to the MySensors collection:
    https://www.thingiverse.com/mysensors/collections/mysensors

• @korleone HI
    I have same error
    Can you write that rigth do you ser to folder ?
    Andrey

• @cadet I just remove /usr/local/bin/mysgw and compile again
    And I have one question - why is it happened?
    MysGW work fine about 3 months.

• Mod

what problem did you have?

• @gohan mysgw: ERROR accept: Bad file descriptor - today morning

• Mod

I get that when another instance of the process is already running

• @gohan I was try to find it with ps -ef, but nothing found. Reload RPI.
    @korleone was write about this
    "Hello, it seems I found the problem: Complete newbie thing: 🔰
    sudo ./bin/mysgw -h worked, but /usr/local/bin/mysgw didn't
    I just gave the right to the folder, and now it's working."

But what right hi gave ?

• Mod

sudo ./bin/mysgw -h could work, it only depends in which folder you are running the command from

• FYI looks like on the 2.3.1 beta the transport has been changed to rf24 instead of nrf24

• Is the rasberry pi serving as a gateway and a server in this project? Or do you have to have a separate pi to host something like openhab and another pi for your gateway?

• Mod

Hi @magjef29, welcome to the MySensors forum!

You can run your controller(s) on the same Raspberry Pi.

Depending on what tou mean by ”server”, the gateway can be a server, but the gateway is not a controller.

If you haven’t already, see the getting started guide for information about the different parts.

• Hi! Does anybody test Cubieboard as Gateway? I have a cubieboard runing archlinux with spi enabled in kernel. How i define pins for nrf24 gateway connection? Or i need to make big changes in code to star work with different bord than Rpi?
    Best regards

• This is my old dream to connect directly nrf to Cubieboard GPIOs. Few years ago i try to do this without success using this lib - https://github.com/bearpawmaxim/librf24-sunxi

• Mod

Hi @артем-тихонович, welcome to the MySensors forum!

For the NRF24, the same defines as for normal sketches are used. Documentation: https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/group__RF24SettingGrpPub.html
    The defines can be added to the Raspberry Pi gateway by following the instructions on https://www.mysensors.org/build/raspberry#advanced

I have not heard about anyone using the Cubieboard but hopefully someone else has. The information provided on https://www.mysensors.org/build/orange might be useful if the Cubieboard is similar to the Orange Pie.

oh, and in case you haven't already, see the ./configure --help text about the most common NRF24 defines; you might not need the advanced build options.

• Thank you, @mfalkvidd. Ihave a little troubles with correct defining gpios from Cubie. In fex file the gpios defines is:
    [gpio_para]
    gpio_used = 1
    gpio_num = 2
    gpio_pin_1 = port:PH07<0><default><default><default>
    gpio_pin_2 = port:PH15<6><default><default><default>
    in sys/gpio:
    [root@Archey boot]# ls -ls /sys/class/gpio/
    total 0
    0 --w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 21 11:58 export
    0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 18 17:01 gpio1_ph7 -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-sunxi/gpio/gpio1_ph7
    0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 21 11:54 gpio2_ph15 -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-sunxi/gpio/gpio2_ph15
    0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Nov 18 10:45 gpiochip1 -> ../../devices/platform/gpio-sunxi/gpio/gpiochip1
    0 --w------- 1 root root 4096 Nov 18 16:52 unexport

When i define in configure: --my-rf24-ce-pin=1 --my-rf24-cs-pin=2 build is ok, but test failed with error:
    Nov 21 11:58:15 ERROR Could not open /sys/class/gpio/gpio1/direction[root@Archey MySensors]#
    when i define --my-transport=nrf24 --my-rf24-ce-pin=gpio1_ph7 the build failed wirh error:
    ./drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp: In function 'void RF24_ce(bool)':
    <command-line>:0:16: error: 'gpio1_ph7' was not declared in this scope
    ./drivers/RF24/RF24.cpp:52:17: note: in expansion of macro 'MY_RF24_CE_PIN'
    hwDigitalWrite(MY_RF24_CE_PIN, level);

How can i resolve this problem? Please help.

• I just see for another app using nrf24 on cubieboard
    and funcrtion to use nrf24 have GPIO defining is RF24 radio(SUNXI_GPB(10), SUNXI_GPB(11), "/dev/spidev0.0");
    GPIO set using this style: SUNXI_GPB(10), this type of gpio defined in #include "gpio_sun4i.h" file. Maybe this specific defining in ARCHLINUX ARM distro.

• Plugin Developer

I hereby donate these images:

4_1542918057729_step1.png 3_1542918057729_step2.png 2_1542918057728_step3.png 1_1542918057727_step4.png 0_1542918057727_step5.png

• Mod

In case someone can help @артем-тихонович, please post the answer in https://forum.mysensors.org/post/95304 so we don’t unnecessarily discuss the same thing in separate threads.

• I get weird errors when "make"ing. Branch master.
    My command:
    sudo ./configure --my-transport=rf24 --my-rf24-irq-pin=15 --my-signing-debug --my-signing=password --my-security-password=ZZZZZZZZZZ --my-gateway=mqtt --my-controller-ip-address=127.0.0.1 --my-mqtt-user=XXXX --my-mqtt-password=YYYYY --my-mqtt-publish-topic-prefix=mysensors-out --my-mqtt-subscribe-topic-prefix=mysensors-in --my-mqtt-client-id=mygateway1 --my-leds-err-pin=12 --my-leds-rx-pin=16 --my-leds-tx-pin=18 --my-config-file=/etc/mysensors.conf

M -c examples_linux/mysgw.cpp -o build/examples_linux/mysgw.o
    In file included from ./MySensors.h:148:0,
                     from examples_linux/mysgw.cpp:82:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘bool signerAtsha204SoftGetNonce(MyMessage&)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:173:55: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(unsigned int, int)’
      msg.set(_signing_verifying_nonce, MIN(MAX_PAYLOAD, 32));
                                                           ^
    In file included from /usr/include/c++/6/algorithm:62:0,
                     from ./drivers/Linux/Arduino.h:32,
                     from ./MySensors.h:39,
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3453:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp, class _Compare> constexpr _Tp std::min(std::initializer_list<_Tp>, _Compare)
         min(initializer_list<_Tp> __l, _Compare __comp)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3453:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:173:55: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                           ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3447:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp> constexpr _Tp std::min(std::initializer_list<_Tp>)
         min(initializer_list<_Tp> __l)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3447:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:173:55: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                           ^
    In file included from /usr/include/c++/6/bits/char_traits.h:39:0,
                     from /usr/include/c++/6/ios:40,
                     from /usr/include/c++/6/ostream:38,
                     from /usr/include/c++/6/iostream:39,
                     from examples_linux/mysgw.cpp:20:
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:243:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp, class _Compare> constexpr const _Tp& std::min(const _Tp&, const _Tp&, _Compare)
         min(const _Tp& __a, const _Tp& __b, _Compare __comp)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:243:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:173:55: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                           ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:195:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp> constexpr const _Tp& std::min(const _Tp&, const _Tp&)
         min(const _Tp& __a, const _Tp& __b)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:195:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:173:55: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                           ^
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘void signerAtsha204SoftPutNonce(MyMessage&)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:190:89: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(unsigned int, int)’
      (void)memcpy((void *)_signing_nonce, (const void *)msg.getCustom(), MIN(MAX_PAYLOAD, 32));
                                                                                             ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3453:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp, class _Compare> constexpr _Tp std::min(std::initializer_list<_Tp>, _Compare)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3453:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:190:89: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
      (void)memcpy((void *)_signing_nonce, (const void *)msg.getCustom(), MIN(MAX_PAYLOAD, 32));
                                                                                             ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3447:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp> constexpr _Tp std::min(std::initializer_list<_Tp>)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algo.h:3447:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:190:89: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                                                             ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:243:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp, class _Compare> constexpr const _Tp& std::min(const _Tp&, const _Tp&, _Compare)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:243:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:190:89: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                                                             ^
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:195:5: note: candidate: template<class _Tp> constexpr const _Tp& std::min(const _Tp&, const _Tp&)
         ^~~
    /usr/include/c++/6/bits/stl_algobase.h:195:5: note:   template argument deduction/substitution failed:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:190:89: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                                                             ^
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘bool signerAtsha204SoftSignMsg(MyMessage&)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:229:50: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(unsigned int, int)’
                   MIN(MAX_PAYLOAD-mGetLength(msg), 32));
                                                      ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:229:50: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                      ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:229:50: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                      ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:229:50: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                      ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:229:50: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                      ^
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘bool signerAtsha204SoftVerifyMsg(MyMessage&)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:283:55: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(unsigned int, int)’
                        MIN(MAX_PAYLOAD-mGetLength(msg), 32))) {
                                                           ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:283:55: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                           ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:283:55: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned int’
                                                           ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:283:55: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                           ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:283:55: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned int’ and ‘int’)
                                                           ^
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘void signerCalculateSignature(MyMessage&, bool)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:307:48: error: no matching function for call to ‘min(uint8_t&, int)’
       uint8_t bytes_to_include = MIN(bytes_left, 32);
                                                    ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:307:48: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned char’
                                                    ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:307:48: note:   mismatched types ‘std::initializer_list<_Tp>’ and ‘unsigned char’
                                                    ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:307:48: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned char’ and ‘int’)
                                                    ^
         ^~~
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:307:48: note:   deduced conflicting types for parameter ‘const _Tp’ (‘unsigned char’ and ‘int’)
                                                    ^
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp: In function ‘bool signerAtsha204SoftVerifyMsg(MyMessage&)’:
    ./core/MySigningAtsha204Soft.cpp:289:1: warning: control reaches end of non-void function [-Wreturn-type]
     }
     ^
    Makefile:98: recipe for target 'build/examples_linux/mysgw.o' failed
    make: *** [build/examples_linux/mysgw.o] Error 1

Can someone better versed help?
    EDIT: tested branch development, no problems.

• Mod

• @mfalkvidd It sure looks the same. I did a fresh git clone to update my gateway, so shouldn't it be fixed? From what appears on github it looked fixed..
    EDIT appears fixed in development branch. But not master?

• Mod

@masmat said in 💬 Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway:

EDIT appears fixed in development branch. But not master?

Yes that is correct

• hi,
    is it possible to conect NRF24 to SPI1 channel on RBpi3?
    (i mean pins 26, 35, 36,38,40)??

• Mod

Welcome to the forum @robert-król
    I have not tried it myself, but I beleive https://forum.mysensors.org/post/76079 shows how to do it.

• Hello

Is it possible to redefine pin used for DI00 with rfm69 (with configure option for example) ?
    Indeed, DI00 is on pin 22 on raspberry, and pin 2 on arduino.
    But with NRF, pin 2 on arduino is for IRQ, which is connected to pin 15 on raspberry.

So if it was possible to force pin 15 for DI00, we could use adaptator card like this one https://www.mysensors.org/hardware/nrf2rfm69.

• Hi, just build an Ethernet gateway on a raspberry pi B+ following the instructions on this site. And it works! I'm running raspbian stretch lite and used the master branch. No issues. I use the RFM69 radio and this gateway has the HW model. I did have to update al my nodes to use the new RFM69 drivers but that was clearly mentioned in the article.
    I have two questions:

1. In this section :
    log_pipe=0
    log_pipe_file=/tmp/mysgw.pipe

Is this correct, I think there should be a 1 to enable this type of logging.

1. When a new version of mysensors is released, how do I update the gateway version on the raspberry pi?

And here is a picture of my work:
    alt text

Thanks for the effort you put into this project!

• Has the issue with RFM automatic transmission control been addressed?

• @kted Can you give me a pointer to the details of this issue? I'm willing to do some tests and report back my findings. Some info about my configuration, I have 5 nodes at this moment, all battery feeded, they are sending only nodes. They all work but they have a interval of several minutes between sending. The gateway is connected to Domoticz running on another Raspberry PI.

• @rolo6442u I built an Raspberry gateway using an RFM69 radio, to replace one built around a NodeMCU.
    All nodes are transmit only, and using the latest stable API.
    I noticed that all sensors were using max TX power after the first couple of transmissions, although they were respecting the ATC setting before, and were using minimum power most of the time.
    Now I am concerned about battery life, so I switched back to the NodeMCU gateway, waiting for a fix.
    I'll put together a temporary net, with a RPi0 gateway and a single node later, to show some real data, if you need any more information.

• @kted I wil do some tests to check if I see this behavior. Just build a simple test node with a pushbutton, on 2 AA batteries. This node has the low power W radio module. How did you discover/measure that the max TX power was used?

• Mod

@kted could be the same problem as discussed in https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/9796/rfm69-atc-not-working/

• @rolo6442u From what the node itself reports from transportGetSignalReport(SR_TX_POWER_PERCENT). It starts from say 50%, and after a coule of transmissions it goes up to 100%, when the nodes are 1m apart. When using a stand alone ESP8266 gateway, it drops to 0%.
    I'll have the nodes ready in a couple of hours, after I come home from work...

• Did some tests and I do see the TX power climbing to 100% after a few transmits :

-42 :transportGetReceivingRSSI()
    127 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    -256 :transportGetReceivingSNR()
    -256 :transportGetSendingSNR()
    6 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    77 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()
    0 :transportInternalToRSSI(_transportSM.uplinkQualityRSSI)

-46 :transportGetReceivingRSSI()
    -102 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    7 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    80 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()

-47 :transportGetReceivingRSSI()
    -102 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    10 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    90 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()

-105 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    11 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    93 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()

-103 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    13 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    100 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()

-106 :transportGetSendingRSSI()
    13 :transportGetTxPowerLevel()
    100 :transportGetTxPowerPercent()

Not sure if this has a great impact on battery life, depends on how often the node sends a message. Al my nodes have an interval of about 10 minutes. I leave the gateway running for now. Having it running on this PI is a great advantage for me. Will try to do some current measurement on this node and calculate what the impact is on battery life.

• Mod

@barrydou I gave a double gateway running on my raspberry both nrf24 and rfm69, still on v. 2.2

• @gohan Nice. I was thinking to do that same at some time, but I wasn't sure if the Raspberry could handle the load, since I also run domoticz on it, along with pi-hole.
    How many devices do you have on each gateway?

• Mod

I got the same, domoticz and pi hole, but the load of the gateway is minimal

• @gohan I meant multiple gateways on the same raspberry.
    Right now, I have an NRF24L01 gateway, Domoticz, pi-hole, and a VPN server running, with 2 more gateways connected, one local and one remote RFM69 on ESP8266.
    It would be nice if I could combine the two local gateways, the RFM and the NRF on the same Raspberry's GPIO...

• Mod

Yes, I have both radios on the same raspberry.

• More problems when I try to "make" after configuring. Tried with and without sudo...

dietpi@Domoticz:~/MySensors$ sudo make
    gcc -MT build/hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.o -MMD -MP -march=armv6zk -mtune=arm1176jzf-s -mfpu=vfp -mfloat-abi=hard -DMY_SIGNING_SIMPLE_PASSWD=\"ZZZZZZZ\" -DMY_RADIO_RF24 -DMY_GATEWAY_LINUX -DMY_GATEWAY_MQTT_CLIENT -DMY_DEBUG -DLINUX_SPI_BCM -DLINUX_ARCH_RASPBERRYPI -DMY_LINUX_CONFIG_FILE=\"/etc/mysensors.conf\" -DMY_DEFAULT_TX_LED_PIN=18 -DMY_DEFAULT_RX_LED_PIN=16 -DMY_DEFAULT_ERR_LED_PIN=12 -DMY_MQTT_CLIENT_ID=\"mygateway1\" -DMY_MQTT_SUBSCRIBE_TOPIC_PREFIX=\"mysensors-in\" -DMY_MQTT_PUBLISH_TOPIC_PREFIX=\"mysensors-out\" -DMY_MQTT_PASSWORD=\"YYYYY\" -DMY_MQTT_USER=\"XXXX\" -DMY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS=127,0,0,1 -DMY_DEBUG_VERBOSE_SIGNING -DMY_RX_MESSAGE_BUFFER_FEATURE -DMY_RF24_IRQ_PIN=15  -Ofast -g -Wall -Wextra  -I. -I./core -I./hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core -I./hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/BCM -c hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.c -o build/hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.o
    In file included from hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.c:20:0:
    hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.h:24:19: fatal error: stdio.h: File not found
     #include <stdio.h>
                       ^
    compilation terminated.
    Makefile:102: recipe for target 'build/hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.o' failed
    make: *** [build/hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/log.o] Error 1

EDIT: ...and here's the fix: "sudo apt-get install g++" (I'm using DietPi now to make it lighter for Pi Zero W).

• Running Version 2.3.2-beta just cloned today. On a raspberry pi B rev2.
    A little bug/problem I have discovered with the MQTT gateway.

When you run the gateway with command and switch:-

mysgw -c /etc/mysensors.conf

It segfaults.

When its run with the command and switch :-

mysgw --config-file /etc/mysensors.conf

It works fine

I was playing with the ethernet gateway compile and the -c worked fine.

• Another thing I have found is I cannot get any logging working with the mqqt gateway compile.

It worked fine (named pipe) with the ethernet gateway compile.

Edit
    It seems logging with the mqtt is not instant. It seem to dump the log out of memory periodically, is this expected? Makes it a bit hard to debug real-time.

• Mod

Just use mqtt client

• Mod

@coza I have experienced that the raspberry pigateway does not flush the logs immediately when logging to file. Syslog logs immediately though. See if switching to syslog helps.

• @gohan Sorry I miss your answer a few days ago
    I don't want to a gateway with both rfm69 and nrf24..

I'm planning to change my nrf24 sensors with rfm69, to have a better transmission distance. My two nodes are outside, and i have communication trouble if i put them where i wanted, specially for my rain gauge.
    So I wanted to use those adaptors https://www.openhardware.io/view/16/NRF2RFM69.
    I received them, and I'm still waiting RFM69 board to test it.

But as the pinout is not the same between nrf24 and rfm69 on raspberry gateway, I could not use the adaptor on the gateway. So before making a new board for my raspberry, I wanted to know if it's possible to change the default pin configuration, to have exactly the same as nrf24, and use an adaptor on the gateway too.
    For that, I "just" need to redefine DIO0 on pin 15 (default is 22). So I wonder if it's possible to do it.

And "bonus question", I'd like to know why pin configuration is not the same between arduino and raspberry. Why pin 15 is not used for DIO0 on raspberry (equivalent to pin 2 on arduino). I'm telling myself it should be a good reason, but I don't get it.

• Mod

@barrydou is this what you need (from the documentation and ./configure--help)

--my-rfm69-irq-pin=<PIN>    Pin number connected to RFM69 IRQ pin.

For the bonus question: I wasn't aware that there was a mapping between Raspberry Pi gpio and Arduino pins. Could you share he rest of the list?

• @mfalkvidd I don't know what DI00 is, and if it's equivalent to IRQ ? If Yes, it's exactly what I need ! Thank you !!! 🙂 I will test it as soon as I get my RFM69

Here is the pin mapping between RFM69W/NRF24 and Arduino/Raspberry

Arduino mini - NRF24  - RFM69 - Raspberry GW NRF - Raspberry GW RFM 
    9            - CE     - N/A   - 22               - N/A
    10           - CSN/CS - NSS   - 24               - 24
    13           - SCK    - SCK   - 23               - 23
    11           - MOSI   - MOSI  - 19               - 19
    12           - MISO   - MISO  - 21               - 21
    2            - IRQ    - DI00  - 15               - 22

So, the only mismatch breaking pin compatibility (and preventing to use adaptors on the raspberry pi gateway) is on IRQ/DI00. Adaptors wire RFM69 DI00 on NRF24 IRQ pin, but they don't use, by default, the same pin on raspberry, depending the radio type.

• Mod

@barrydou I don't know what dio0 is either, but https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/rfm69hcw-hookup-guide/all describes it like this:

Digital I/O 0
    RX interrupt Received data ready interrupt signal from RFM69HCW to microcontroller

which sounds like it could be interrupt. It might be worth a try at least.

• @mfalkvidd Thank you.
    I've found that too https://www.mysensors.org/apidocs/RFM69_8h_source.html
    It's clearly indicated that DIO0 is IRQ.

So I think with "--my-rfm69-irq-pin=" it will do the job.

I'll test it as soon as i'll receive RFM69.

Thank you again

• @marceloaqno Sorry to kick this old topic, but I will soon be trying to build my gateway with a Raspberry pi. I was wondering if the capacitor is also required for the gateway, or just for the nodes?

Because at the instruction page on how to wire and build a Raspberry Pi gateway, the capacitor isn't mentioned.

I'll be using a RPI 1 and NRF24L01+

• Mod

@rolandow yes the capacitor is needed. I'll add that info to the page. Thanks for noticing.

• Ok, one more question. I thought I read somewhere that the wiring between the RPI and de radio should be as short as possible, but I can't find exactly where I read that anymore.

At another project (zigbee2mqtt) I read that users had better reception when they placed the transceiver further away from the controller, because there was less inteference. So if possible, I would like to use a piece of UTP cable to wire the radio to the raspberry pi. That way I can put the rpi inside a closet, but the radio outside.

So I am not sure if longer wires (say 2, 3 meters) is going to be a problem?

• Mod

@rolandow there could be a problem.

There are two things to consider.

1. Power drop due to resistance in the cable. See https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/113253/voltage-drop-and-safe-current-load-on-cat5-cable for details but use the current used by the radio (provided in the datasheet) instead of the 2.5A used in that question.

2. SPI communication problems due to capacitance in the cable. See https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/163468/spi-max-distance for details. See also my post at https://forum.mysensors.org/post/92967 for oscilloscope pictures of what an i2c signal can look like through a long cable. SPI can handle longer cable lengts than i2c though.

1. For me, my electronics is not as good as my development skills ;-). But I gave it a try. According to the datasheet the NRF24 will consume about 14 mA max. My cable is 2 m max, so then the resistance is 0,16ohms. So if I understand correctly the voltage drop would be 0,00224 volt. Sounds neglegtable to me? Also; can't I just measure the voltage at the end of the cable once it's connected to the RPI?

2. At the stackoverflow page somebody says: "In an answer on a Microchip forum, Jan Axelson, author of 'Serial Port Complete', claims a maximum cable length of 10' for the SPI bus. Other posts have mentioned the same figure.". So 10" is about 3 metres, so I am within that range. I do understand though that this isn't a preferred thing to do.

Which makes me wonder how other people handle this. I mean; I think ideally you'd want the radio that is connected to the controller in the most 'center' way of the home, right? So do people just hange the Pi and the whole shebang to the ceiling? 😉 I'd rather put the controller in the closet where my modem and router are, and then only wire the receiver to outside the closet. Isn't there a better way to do this?

• Mod

Nice work @rolandow
    You can measure the voltage drop, if you put a load of 14mA on the cable. But without load, there will be no voltage drop.

One small adjustment on your calculation: there will be 4m cable (2m to the radio and 2m back). But the drop will still be negligable for a normal nrf24.

• Please edit the image used in this tutorial:
    alt text
    It is wrong and misleading, as it says that pin36 is SPI1 CS0. In fact SPI1 CS0 by default is pin12. To be able to use pin36 as SPI1 CS0 one have to follow implicit steps which can be found on this forum thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=203776.
    Also it would be useful to add instructions to enable SPI1 in /boot/config.txt to the tutorial.

• I want to run this gateway with another networkid (RFM69) but can't find how to do this. The option --my-rfm69-networkid=105 in the config line is ignored. So maybe it should go in the mysensnsors.conf file, but what is the syntax of this option?
    Thanks.

• Mod

@rolo6442u where did you find my-rfm69-networkid? I don't think such an option has ever existed. If you found it somewhere we probably need to update that documentation.

Follow the instructions at https://www.mysensors.org/build/raspberry#advanced to set defines.

• @mfalkvidd
    I did not found it, I kind of made it up, following the syntax of other options.
    Looks like there is no way of changing the ID at this moment for the PI gateway.

• Mod

@rolo6442u ok. Well, making things up will usually not add them to the code 😉

There is a way. Two actually. Set the define in one of the two ways described on the link I provided.

• @mfalkvidd
    Thanks, will take a look at that.

• Is it also possible to read a sensor directly at the Raspberry Pi MQTT Gateway? I only want to send the status of a GPIO via MQTT. Is there an example code for this combination?

• Plugin Developer

Might be nice to know it compilation still seems to works fine on Raspbian Buster on a Raspberry Pi 4.

// Update: unlike on the Pi 3 I now had to activate SPI. Might be good to make that more prominent in the explanation now.

• Mod

@alowhum to my knowledge, activating SPI has always been required, unless the user has already activated SPI by some other means.

Do you have a suggestion on how to make it more prominent that what it is now? Preferably without contributing too much to the pileup of notices that scare users - everything is super-important to at least 1 person.

• Plugin Developer

@mfalkvidd I don't know, perhaps mention it as something that has to be done upfront instead of something that might need to be done if there is an error?

I'm not having any luck actually getting the radio to work. I now noticed this warning during compilation:

g++ -MT build/drivers/Linux/GPIO.o -MMD -MP -DMY_RADIO_RF24 -DMY_GATEWAY_LINUX -DMY_GATEWAY_MQTT_CLIENT -DMY_DEBUG -DLINUX_SPI_SPIDEV -DMY_MQTT_CLIENT_ID=\"mygateway1\" -DMY_MQTT_SUBSCRIBE_TOPIC_PREFIX=\"mysensors-in\" -DMY_MQTT_PUBLISH_TOPIC_PREFIX=\"mysensors-out\" -DMY_CONTROLLER_IP_ADDRESS=127,0,0,1  -Ofast -g -Wall -Wextra  -I. -I./core -I./drivers/Linux -c drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp -o build/drivers/Linux/GPIO.o
    drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp: In constructor ‘GPIOClass::GPIOClass()’:
    drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp:53:18: warning: ‘%s’ directive writing up to 255 bytes into a region of size 48 [-Wformat-overflow=]
        sprintf(file, "/sys/class/gpio/%s/base", de->d_name);
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp:53:11: note: ‘sprintf’ output between 22 and 277 bytes into a destination of size 64
        sprintf(file, "/sys/class/gpio/%s/base", de->d_name);
        ~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp:62:18: warning: ‘%s’ directive writing up to 255 bytes into a region of size 48 [-Wformat-overflow=]
        sprintf(file, "/sys/class/gpio/%s/ngpio", de->d_name);
                      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    drivers/Linux/GPIO.cpp:62:11: note: ‘sprintf’ output between 23 and 278 bytes into a destination of size 64
        sprintf(file, "/sys/class/gpio/%s/ngpio", de->d_name);
        ~~~~~~~^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• Plugin Developer

Could this be an issue?

./configure without any additional parameters gives:

[SECTION] Detecting target machine.
      [OK] machine detected: SoC=unknown, Type=unknown, CPU=armv7l.

The rest looks fine:

[SECTION] Checking GPIO Sysfs.
      [OK] /sys/class/gpio/export found.
    [SECTION] Detecting SPI driver.
      [OK] SPI driver detected:SPIDEV.
    [SECTION] Gateway configuration.
      [OK] Type: ethernet.
      [OK] Transport: rf24.
      [OK] Signing: Disabled.
      [OK] Encryption: Disabled.
      [OK] CPPFLAGS: -DMY_RADIO_RF24 -DMY_GATEWAY_LINUX -DMY_DEBUG -DLINUX_SPI_SPIDEV 
    [SECTION] Detecting init system.
      [OK] Init system detected: systemd.
    [SECTION] Saving configuration.
      [OK] Saved.
    [SECTION] Cleaning previous builds.
      [OK] Finished.

Same thing happens with the dev version

• Mod

Yes, if the configure script cannot detect which hardware to use, compilation failure could very well be the result.

• Hi All

I'm just venturing into this world of building my own sensors - but perhaps i am a tad late? Two months since last update.. Typically me - showing up to the party when everybody else has left.

My main issue is, i am running the Raspberry Pi 4 - and when trying to build (i've tried both the development and master builds) i get from 4 (master build) to A BUNCH (development) of errors. First of all, the autodetect of SoC does not work for me either (just like @alowhum, and with the same warnings), and when using --help the actual SoC is not listed either, so should i just assume it does not work for Raspberry Pi 4?

Is there any chance the 4 will be supported soon?

Just a note - i can actually complete the configure and then make - but unfortunately i just get a TSP error when trying to fire up the radio.

Hope i can get this working as it was the main reason for upgrading my RaspberryPi version 1 to a version 4 🤦‍♂️

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

• Mod

Thanks for sharing your experience @swedchef

From the problems reported by users (you included), it seems like the rpi4 is quite different fom the earlier rpis. To add support, the following ingredients are needed in one person

• person needs to have sufficient knowledge and skills to figure out how to support the rpi4
    • person needs to have sufficient time to do the work
    • person needs to have a rpi4
    • person needs to be sufficiently interested/motivated to do the work

It seems like, so far, we haven't found this person (or this person hasn't found us).

• Re: 💬 Building a Raspberry Pi Gateway

Hi all,

i compile with success the gateway in Raspberry PI 4 (with some code modification)

this is not perfect.. but it works.

if someone wants to try, i upload the gateway compiled with this options :

--my-transport=rf24 --my-gateway=ethernet --my-port=5003

https://gofile.io/?c=fRxeF7

• Contest Winner

@phildefer could you please share what you changed? The security concerned might not be comfortable running a binary with unspecified changes that manages their home automation setup. Especially not a project supposed to be open source.

• Mod

@phildefer would you mind sharing the code modifications that were needed?

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics