RFM69 SX1276 controlled by 18F4520 project

• Hi,
    (First post:) )

I am trying to make data send/receive modules using SX1276 modules (Poss RFM69)

First, are these considered to be Software defines radios?

I am restricted to using BASIC (Oshonsoft) and PIC technology. [I've spent hours explaining why I'm limited to these, but I am]

I have been looking through programs written in a similar BASIC, controlling RFM22 modules. I have since bought some later modules SX1276 (I think they are the same as RFM69) They are made by a different manufacturer. Does anyone know if what I've learnt about programming PICs to control RFM22 will still apply to the later SX1276 please?

Cheers, Camerart

• Admin

@Camerart

Welcome aboard.. πŸ™‚ I don't know if you have checked the mysensors library, but we are aiming at arduino (c/c++), and are primarily using atmel processors. So not many around here that knows about pic, let alone basic πŸ™‚

There are a lot of examples for arduino and rfm22/69, around on the net.. You might be able to scoop out some ideas from these. Otherwise there is always the datasheet method, and writing your drivers from scratch.

Sorry that I can't give you a more specific answer to your question..

• Hi T,
    Ok, regarding BASIC and PICs.

Regarding the differences between RFM22 and RFM69 (SX1276). Would you be good enough to look at examples written in your language, and let me know if basically, these two modules are programmed in the same manor. e,g, Load Registers with differences to the defaults, then goto a LOOP, which sets RX/TX depending on 'say' button presses.

Thanks, Camerart.

• Admin

@Camerart

I'm afraid that I'm not that familiar with the low level radio drivers..

• Ok, thanks.

Are there other people on the site, that may know?
    C.

• Hardware Contributor

@Camerart
    Hello.
    You're confusing a bit πŸ˜‰

• RFM69 = SX1231 ( +H for high power version)
    • RFM95 = SX1276 (this is a long range radio which complies LORA specs).

SX means the ic manufacturer is Semtech. RFM means Hoperf is manufacturer of the complete radio module.

About your question, RFM69, RFM95 shares somes registers of course, not everything, not all same names.., and there are some fine details in buffer, power settings.. I think this should be the same for RFM22..
    I think you can't assume RFM22 works the same as RFM69 or etc..you will need to dig into datasheet.
    But I'm pretty sure you can google for RFM stuff with MPLAB, Mikroe etc..

• @scalz said:

@Camerart
    Hello.
    You're confusing a bit πŸ˜‰

• RFM69 = SX1231 ( +H for high power version)
    • RFM95 = SX1276 (this is a long range radio which complies LORA specs).

SX means the ic manufacturer is Semtech. RFM means Hoperf is manufacturer of the complete radio module.

About your question, RFM69, RFM95 shares somes registers of course, not everything, not all same names.., and there are some fine details in buffer, power settings.. I think this should be the same for RFM22..
    I think you can't assume RFM22 works the same as RFM69 or etc..you will need to dig into datasheet.
    But I'm pretty sure you can google for RFM stuff with MPLAB, Mikroe etc..

Hi S,
    The confusion has been caused by the seller. I bought some RFM69, and when I asked for data sheets, etc, they reported that the chips are actually SX1276. So I'll refer to them as this from now.

I am not assuming anything,and working through as much information and data sheet as I can cope with. One of these bits of information is a program for RFM22 written in BASIC, that I can read (with difficulty) I was hoping that someone with better programming skills, could help me along the path.
    C.

• Hardware Contributor

Well, like tbowmo said, Mysensors is mostly targeted arduino C/C++

Before being interested in HA, i was using microchip for fun or at job. not former, but used mplab&hitec, or mikroe->basic,C, pascal.Then I discovered HA&mysensors! So I bought some arduino stuff, because i didn't want to reinvent the wheel, waste of time! Even if i was not fan of arduino for mutliple reasons..now i accept my atmel mcu πŸ™‚ not so much the ide and some native stuff..but i'm not disappointed by my change..and now i'm playing with esp32 πŸ™‚

Imho, if you need a PIC rfm driver only, sure why not microchip. Find a lib (you will find mostly C..i advice you too learn minimal C things) and port it..Not a 5min job, and more if not confident with basic.
    If it's for something more advanced like mysensors libs, then i think if you feel not enough skilled you should train arduino..you could have fun.
    On my side, i don't have time to work on RFM->microchip port as i don't need it πŸ˜‰

Why limited to basic?? do you mean about your skills? This can be improved!

• Hi S,

Sadly, I understand my failings, and am stuck with BASIC I'm afraid. Usually, my system works ok, but this is usually a bit easier than this one. I have been learning BASIC since the 80s, and still am not fluent, and know to change would stop me in my tracks, so I plod on.
    I will find a way, but thanks anyway.
    C.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics