AT25DF512C Alternatives

• Hardware Contributor

So as I come to find a supplier for the AT25DF512C Flash that is the go to around here, not only are they hard to get my hands on apart from Digikey, they are also quoting that once their stock of 3000 has depleted that is it for this little IC. So are they any running alternatives that you guys know of, i'm aware of the forum thread discussion FLASH ICs for us but it seems i'm not the only one that finds that thread hard to follow and not much ground was made on the original question of attempting to find alternatives.

What is required to be a compatible flash chip as an alternative to AT25DF512C?
    Does anyone use any other FLASH instead?
    Does anyone have any of these chips and would be willing to sell me a few rather than me having to put a minimum order in at digikey?

• Hardware Contributor

How hard would it be to accommodate a new type of flash into the software for MySensors? The only reason i ask if where ever i find these ICs, despite being hard to get, they're are all also saying that they are end of line and will not be restocking them. Is this possibly a sign for it to be changed for MySensors?

• Admin

I think it was originally selected because it was supported by DualOptiboot.

https://github.com/mysensors/DualOptiboot

• Hardware Contributor

@hek - Well i assumed that was the reason, but I was basically attempting to ask "Why was this IC used for dualoptiboot" but from the way you answered the question, it leads me to think that it was just a technological evolution that has cause this issue. I suppose at the time this IC was the most easiest thing to put into dualoptiboot.

• Hardware Contributor

Sure that would be nice to have others ref, but it's tricky to test all sort of setup. Which is why imho, it's up to makers who want this and to upgrade the lib.
    Not that hard, but would need time..precious resource, and of course a board with the new flash.
    I don't see any stock problem at mouser though πŸ˜‰

• Hardware Contributor

@scalz - You're right. There doesn't seem to be an issue with mouser. I must have gotten hooked up with digikey and some of the smaller sellers. I have a contact ticket open with mouser and the manufacturer for one of the models, as they can't tell me what the code means and the datasheet doesn't specify it either. Will post back here with what the order code "988-AT25DF512CSSHNGU-B" means.

The minimum order is Β£33 for me at the moment, I seem to remember this being a little higher last time i checked, so not sure if its a limited time thing (worth a look if anyone wants anything from there).

Is anyone in need of these ICs as i would order some for you and post to you if you just cover the cost of the item and then the postage for them (more than likely cheaper than paying for postage from them at Β£12 per shipment, to the UK anyway).

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics