nRF5 action!

• @scalz I'm not trying to dismiss your point, I get it. It just surprises me that you stand against "diy'ing a probe" while still being a part of DIY community which gathered around idea of making things fast and cheap. Why bother with mysensors, if we can buy all the same from Ikea, Xiaomi of Philips, or many other manufacturers, sometimes not even much pricier?
    To sum up what I'm trying to say, and finish this debate. I've spoken about my experience as nrf5 newcomer. And exactly as a newcomer I've found this way being better for me. I don't use Segger, Keil or Windows, nor I am planning to use them in future, and if I will, I would probably be able to afford buying myself a J-link.
    To get "DIY" version of BMP you need either ST-link v2 or any STM32 board, bluepill for example. And to flash one of those you obviously need another ST-link. That's all.
    BMP supports SWO which have it's own specifics compared to RTT, but basically does the same thing.

• @neverdie that seems to be for folks who are against STM32 chips πŸ™‚

• Hardware Contributor

@monte
    it's not standing against diy'ing etc..really you didn't understand my point, it's just about user friendly and easily repetable getting started for MySensors nrf5 newcomers, for simply flashing their sketch.. even if a diy BMP is certainly a good probe too. and a genuine BMP is more expensive than a jlink mini. Compare both a jlink vs a blank diy probe, and with a stopwatch, you'll see which method is faster and easier for a noob..

But ok, I won't insist anymore, if you prefer to get me wrong, really don't mind.. I should better let user with not much xp manage all alone so no debate, as this just makes me less active, see you next year 😁

Just don't forget future newcomers will read your advices. In the meantime, we'll try to update docs for MySensors nrf5.

Have fun with your probe

• @scalz C'mon, would you leave the forum with just one hit? πŸ˜„
    In fact I understand your point completely. Open source has become more and more caotic. Internet is atemporal, and often people has the bad habit of not putting the complete date at the top of their "articles" that makes that search engines cannot filter and order properly.
    Everyone has a blog and writes whatever gets out him. The majority of people uses that as a remainder for themselves and... whynot getting reward. So there are zillions of howtos made anyhow. They are not written for helping people.

If the sources and destination are always one, why there aren't the binaries available and all writeups talk about messing the computer and compiling? I think that's because nowadays people seek praise for having achieved it.

Scalz point is about economy of time. Because time is money, even if it's spare time, and yes, a paid/proprietary probe becomes cheap, giving the documentation on the internet, today.

Also the point of view depends in the situation of everyone and its age. Someone at the 5thies feels earlier that it's wasting time, and there comes frustration, and complaining posts, unfortunately πŸ™„
    Just buy a probe, forget about it until it gets delivered.

@monte BTW, I was trying to program an stm32 board with a jlink. Not a Jlink. Maybe if there was a way to get an already compiled binary (to avoid all those dependencies errors) and program the jlink with a normal serial ttl...

• @sergio-rius well, I've gotten majority of my computer knowledge and almost everything I know about programming MCU from such blog posts and articles. Some of them where better, some worse, maybe 10% were complete garbage. But anyhow I can't and won't complain. Because no person is obliged to write something that everyone will understand, and not everyone is naturally born teacher, to prepare information in suitable for wide variety of people way. But all of them were people, who thought it will be helpful to share their experience with others, to show them that this can be done, and maybe give at least hints to how to achieve it. I think there is not much use if you just follow steps, written by someone, without any thought process, or trying understand what you are doing. And thus when you try to achieve something that, won't work from the beginning and guide seems to be outdated, or not complete, you teach yourself and this is most precious in thewhole process.
    I don't think it is correct to blame those, who made a guide for that you can't replicate all the steps. Time goes, libraries an packages evolve, and in few moths fully functional guide can become obsolete if you can't make some adaptations.
    Anyway, here is more recent guide, but written with older ubuntu version in mind. You may look at it, if you want: https://buger.dread.cz/category/stm32.html

• You know... Great power comes with a great responsibility 😊

I happened just now to notice that ON Semiconductor has released their own (non-Nordic) version of an integrated Bluetooth + ARM Cortex + antenna with all passives:
    https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/RSL10SIP-D-1511181.pdf

What's remarkable is that the entire thing, including the antenna and all the passives (which are built into it) is just 8mm x 6mm in size. As a result, it's very easy for them to make a very small sensor beacon:
    alt text

"The RSL10 SIP features an onβˆ’board antenna, RSL10 radio SoC,
    and all necessary passive components in one package to help minimize
    overall system size. Already fully qualified to FCC, CE, and other
    regulatory standards; RSL10 SIP removes the need for additional
    antenna design considerations or RF certifications."

Personally, I don't currently have the skill to solder anything that small, but maybe with the PCBA services that are becoming available.....

I post this here merely as an illustration of what's truly possible. I can only guess, but I presume Nordic will probably (?) release something similar in the future. It would be nice not having to rely on module vendors but instead just mount the chip directly.

By the way, maybe the Black Magic Probe can function as a kind of "universal" JTAG interface? For instance, would it work well o an ESP32 and/or anything else that relies on JTAG for debugging and/or burning firmware? Or would an ST JTAG probe work just as well?

Is this right? I'd prefer to consolidate on a single thing rather than having a different JTAG interface device for every different kind of hardware that might need programming/debugging:

#274 Free Inline Debugging for ESP32 and Arduino Sketches – 17:46
    — Andreas Spiess

• Hardware Contributor

@neverdie
    afaik BMP officially targets ARM mcus, whereas ESP32 is not ARM, it's Tensilica.

@neverdie On the other hand, I bet that tiny RSL10 integrated radio+antenna package has very limited range. What I noticed from the various nRF52840 modules that I've tried is that the smaller the module, the worse the radio range. I haven't yet encountered any exceptions to that generalization.

• @waspie just to follow up, 24hr reboot() is working perfectly. Appreciate the help.

• @ncollins good news

I wonder if this has anything to do with it?
    https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/10705/nrf52-watchdog-problem-myboardnrf5

• @waspie Given that all of my interrupt nodes stopped triggering after 36 hrs (before your reboot workaround), it has to be related. It’s just weird that my nodes would continue to wake up and broadcast battery level.

Is the LPCOMP interrupt method dependent on the wdt? Maybe resetting/restarting the wdt every 24hrs would suffice? Or maybe you have to reactivate LPCOMP every 36 hr wdt cycle?

Users

Topics