Connenct a RS485 Network to a NodeMCU Gateway?

• Hello,

where connect the Pins DI, DE, RE, RO on the NodeMCU?
    And how do I define the pins in the sketch?

regards
    ThomasD

• Just some guesses:
    The PIN assignment for arduino nano is due to the use of altsoftserial lib.
    Most likely you may rather use hardware serial on ESP8266. See http://esp8266.github.io/Arduino/versions/2.3.0/doc/reference.html for the relevant PINs on the ESP (most likely serial0 is the better choice).
    Connect DE-RE (linked together) to any interrupt-capable PIN and adopt sketch accordingly.

Btw: What is your motivation to build a wired network and then connect the whole thing wirelessly to your controller? (I personally try to get rid of all RF transmissions, so this is why I use RS485 as preferred transport layer and connect the whole thing via USB...)

• Mod

it's a similar setup of what I am planning to do: I'd prefer the rs485 for the security sensors as it can't be jammed and since I'm going to have powered sensors it is not a big issue to have an additional cable.

• @rejoe2 said in Connenct a RS485 Network to a NodeMCU Gateway?:

Just some guesses:

Btw: What is your motivation to build a wired network and then connect the whole thing wirelessly to your controller? (I personally try to get rid of all RF transmissions, so this is why I use RS485 as preferred transport layer and connect the whole thing via USB...)

Hello,

i will build a few Sensors in the yard and i thing the best way to connect these Sensor Array to the Controller is WIFI.

regards
    ThomasD

• @ThomasDr Thx for info.

So using wires to connect also teh GW seems not to be an option. And why do you not plan a entirely wireless infrastructure and - if really needed - a repeater node instead of the NodeMCU for the wireless bridge in the house? Especially: RFM69@868MHz should have better range than wifi. To address security related troubles also signing etc. could be used.

• @rejoe2
    I'm assuming the Wifi is the best solution, but if RF868 would be better I'll look at it again.

I also have a couple Xbee module Series 1, could you start something else?

Perhaps also an idea add Xbee to the Mysensor API.

regards
    ThomasD

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics