Best way to mount long-range NRF radio to Pi Zero case?

• I'm building a new gateway with a Pi Zero W. I don't have a case yet. I'm putting the long-range NRF24l01+ radio on it. What's the best way to mount this to the case without making it look like a bomb? Unfortunately, I don't have a 3d printer yet. The best I can come up with so far is to stick a mini breadboard to the top of it and plug the radio into that, but then I still have a bunch of wires sticking out everywhere.

• Mod

If you look in openhardware there is a pcb with sockets for nrf24 and rfm69 designed for pi zero

• In reading the comments on one of those, someone noted that with the high power NRF radio, the raspberry pi 1 could not send data via the radio because it didn't have enough power. Am I going to run into the same problem with a Pi Zero W?

• Mod

If I remember correctly there should be a voltage regulator for the purpose

• Looks like the Pi 1 used a linear regulator and it was limited to 50ma. Later Pi's all use a switching regulator that can apparently supply 500-800ma on the 3.3v output. We'll find out.

• Mod

If you are going to use regular nrf24 you could probably get away with internal regulator

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics