Recommendation for Motion detection (no PIR)

• I am trying to put together a scare light for the inside of a motorhome to point out the windshield. I have a 12 volt 4 watt LED emergency vehicle light that I want to connect to a motion sensor. I cobbled together a PIR detector and the light and it worked OK. However I want the sensor behind the windshield for security and weather protection. The emergency vehicle lights are very intense and should be a good deterrent. I have read about a new type of radar detector that can see through glass whereas a PIR cannot. Does anyone know about these type of sensor and can recommend one that is adjustable for day/night as well as timing and sensitivity. I have several 12 volt outlets in the area where I would like to install.

• You may have a look at the RCWL-0516, at least some info about that is published here: https://github.com/jdesbonnet/RCWL-0516, nice video about it here.

It even works through walls (so having more of them very close togehter seems not to be a good idea) and already provides a regulator (3.3V), not sure if is supplies enough power to an arduino.
    You may need to do some experimenting on the values of caps and resistors needed to get it working according to your needs.

Additional remark: your thread title is very general. Why not change it to "Recommendation for Motion detection (no PIR)?"

• Mod

The radar sensors can see through walls and still detect motion a few meters away, the problem is that they detect motion in all directions and even a cat can trigger it. You could probably use just one in the middle of the motorhome and also try to find one with adjustable sensitivity (like the one in this video https://youtu.be/tuac4rJeBPs)

• Mod

@rejoe2 said in Advice needed:

Additional remark: your thread title is very general. Why not change it to "Recommendation for Motion detection (no PIR)?"

Good suggestion! Done 😉

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics