signing future

• Hi,

I was testing the current signing implementation and run into a problem that it makes comunication much more slow (to be precise 3 times slower). This is because to send one message, actually 3 messages have to be send (nonce request, nonce response and the message). I was testing it with soft signing because i can't get atsha204 chips in my country anywhere and ordering from abroad will be expensive, but i think that it would not make things much better because still 3 messages will be send (am I right ?). So for me this is not acceptable to have such a delay. For example I have a scene controller node and the dimmer node. When I click on the scene controller it sends message to the gateway and from gateway to the dimmer, so with signing there is 6 messages to send, and without signing 2. This makes the difference in timing like 1.75s vs 0.55s. Almost 2 seconds before my lights goes on.

So I read on the forum that the new mysensors (v3.0) will have new signing algorithm and that they will be not suited for atmega328 anymore. Can some one elaborate more on that ? Do these algorithms will not require 3 message to be send (I think this is critical for the setup I have) ? Why they are not suited for atemaga328p ?

• Contest Winner

@rozpruwacz https://github.com/mysensors/MySensors/issues/1118

Because of implementation complexity, atmega328p has too little memory available to accommodate the new features while also containing any other features a user might want.

If the added latency is too much for you, just drop signing and stick with the current encryption scheme.

The new security scheme will also introduce some overhead, just not as much as the current one.

• thank, I will read that 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics