easy FPGA'S

I just noticed this easy entry into FPGA'S on Sparkfun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbQj3vNcPAY

• I have same questions as some guys in the comment section of that video. I know what FPGA is, but I can't understand what is the use scenario for those who are using MCU's for their projects. And as we are on mysensors forum, maybe you have in mind some application for FPGA to our common needs? I can't imagine myself starting to learn verilog right now, but I hear about it from all around so I might consider learning it in near future, but I can't make myself learn stuff unless I see some interesting application of new knowledge.

• Mod

@monte Risking a flame war, here's my view on the topic.
    An FPGA consist of configurable logic cells, that basically can execute logic operations really fast.
    If you have to do a lot of IO on an MCU and perform some logic on it an FPGA might be a better solution.
    On the other hand FPGAs are more complex to put to good use compared to a general purpose MCU.
    For the MySensors applications I can't see how an FPGA would outperform an MCU, especially given its higher cost and complexity.

Still, experimenting with FPGAs can be fun!

• Mod

I agree with the fast io. With a fpga you could have as many pwm channels as you like, and they would be very accurate.

I might be wrong on this one, but I think another use might be low power. Similar to the cool stuff the nrf5 can do. Put advanced low-power rules into a fpga, which can wake up the mcu when certain conditions trigger.

@mfalkvidd said in easy FPGA'S:

I might be wrong on this one, but I think another use might be low power. Similar to the cool stuff the nrf5 can do.

Yes, that's what I was imagining might be possible. I don't know for sure though.

• You can always program fpga to act as a microprocessor and write sofware for it 🙂

• Mod

@rozpruwacz yes but what would yo have gained, except complexity?

@monte said in easy FPGA'S:

I have same questions as some guys in the comment section of that video. I know what FPGA is, but I can't understand what is the use scenario for those who are using MCU's for their projects. And as we are on mysensors forum, maybe you have in mind some application for FPGA to our common needs? I can't imagine myself starting to learn verilog right now, but I hear about it from all around so I might consider learning it in near future, but I can't make myself learn stuff unless I see some interesting application of new knowledge.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'll concede the point, because after looking into it a bit more, I think you're probably right. I mean, the newer ARM chips consume less than 100na in sleep mode and seem generally quite power efficient: https://www.microchip.com/design-centers/32-bit/sam-32-bit-mcus/sam-l-mcus

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics