How to use additional SPI device with RFM69 repeater node?

• Plugin Developer

My Hardware: Moteino R4, ATMEGA328P + RFM69HW

I have an issue when communicating with an additional SPI device. I have ADE7763 energy monitor SPI chip which operates on low clock speed.

When I read data from ADE7763, I reconfigure SPI settings as follows,

ADE7763 CS pin connected to D9.

void loop() {
      updateVoltageCurrentData();
    }

void updateVoltageCurrentData() {
      SPI.beginTransaction(SPISettings(SPI_CLOCK_DIV4, MSBFIRST, SPI_MODE1));
      uint8_t status = ADE_sampleRMS(&vrms, &irms); // reads VRMS and IRMS from ADE7763
      SPI.endTransaction();
    }

This settings working ok, but after some time, this particular node lost from RF network. Looks like RFM69 SPI settings corrupted.

Any recommended way to communicate with additional SPI device?

• @jkandasa - Maybe this helps? Perhaps a speed issue causing packet collision?

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=347073

Are the devices using the same clock freq? Mught be worth adding a delay between command send/request to allow a change in clock to settle (if dynamic clock is even allowed in SPI)?

• Mod

@jkandasa have you tried using software spi? For the slow device, it should work quite well I think.

• @mfalkvidd That is a good idea to try.

@jkandasa Are you using pull up resistors on the CS lines to each device - that might be worth a try too....

• Plugin Developer

@skywatch @mfalkvidd Thank you for your comments.

I am using Moteino R4 and RFM69 connected to hardware SPI pins. I tried the same pin with softSPI, but I could not get success.

Now I have altered the ADE7763 Arduino library to update SPI settings on every call. And added code to update the only flag on ADE7763 interrupt(like we have in RFM69_new library). Seems all look somewhat ok.

I think for RFM69 we use a default clock speed. for ADE7763: SPI_CLOCK_DIV4

Are you using pull up resistors on the CS lines to each device - that might be worth a try too....

Yes, I have

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics