Which sensor type to use for my gate controller?

• Hi,

I'm really new to MySensors, and the first sensors I want are in my gate controller. This controls two swinging gates in my driveway. The controller is pretty well documented and will provide me with a very easy way to get the following 4 states:
    OPEN
    CLOSED
    OPENING
    CLOSING

I couldn't find a sensor type that would match these states very well? What would be the best way to go about this?

(I am familiar with Arduino coding, just not which Sensor types to use).

Thanks

• Imo the "right choice" also depends a little on your controller software. As a first try, I'd go for S_COVER; this allows direction info and percentages. You may combine it with a S_DOOR type for direct indication of open/closed (in case of pure S_COVER derive info from percentage values).

Have a look at https://www.mysensors.org/download/serial_api_20 on what MySensors offers and also a look how your controller handles the different types.

• @rejoe2 Thanks! I'll start there as see how I go. I am using Home Assistant and it has support for MySensors Covers.

• I use a reed switch on my gates - when they are in contact the gate is closed.
    You could put more at the open points for fully open but I only cared about closed or not. I assumed for 20 secs after they started opening they are opening else they are open.

When I close the gate I assume closing until the reed switch shows closed - of course opening the gate during closing will reopen (I also have IR to detect car so gate will not close onto a car).

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics