[SOLVED] NRF24L01+ stops working

• I have managed to get 3 NRF24L01+ boards to stop working.

My problem:
    I'm new to MySensors and I'm still on the experiment stage. I have a serial gateway and a
    'fake' sensor node. The gateway seems to work fine and has done so for a week or so now. The problem is the sensor node. When I assemble the node it works for a while (about 3-5 hours) but after that it stops working and the red led on my Arduino Pro mini is not lit anymore. What I do then is restart the Pro mini and then if I'm lucky it starts working again for 3 to 5 hours. If I'm not lucky I have to replace the NRF24L01+ with a new one and then it will work agan for 3-5 hours and the procedure is starting over. This way I have made 3 radio models stop working... I plan to try the 'broken' radio modules with the gateway to se if they are really broken or not!

Does anyone have an ide of what I'm doing wrong.

My setup:
    GW is made of an UNO and a NRF24L01+ with serial interface to Domoticz
    using MySensors 1.5.1

'Fake' Node is made ut of a Pro Mini 8MHz, 328, 3v3 and a NRF24L01+
    using MySensors 1.5.1. On the fake node I have a 4.7uF capacitor connected to the 3.3 and GND

• Mod

How are you powering the nodes?

• I'm not 100% sure that I understand the question but:

My pro mini board has been powered using the 'serial/download interface' (not sure what to call it) using both a cell charger and the USB port on my RPi.

The radio is powered from the 3v3 on the pro mini.

• I just realized that I should ensure that it's a 3v3 and not a 5v pro mini I have, I got it from China and I'm not really sure what I got. Will check this evening with my multimeter on the Vcc pin if 3v3 or 5v.

• Mod

Yes, that's exactly what I was asking 🙂
    You probably mean a ftdi adapter, like this? http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/FeMfuNJIY
    Does the adapter deliver 3.3V or 5V? (You can measure with a voltmeter)
    You connect the power through the ftdi header on the Pro Mini, right? (The 6 pin connector at the short side of the Pro Mini)

Some ftdi adapters have the possibility to switch between 3.3 and 5V using a jumper.

The Pro Mini needs 3.3V from Vcc (which is available on the ftdi header) or 5-12V on the RAW pin.

• Mod

If you have a magnifying glass, a good camera och really good eyes, you can read the text on the voltage regulator to determine if it is a 3.3V or 5V. The voltage regulator is here: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=194995.0;attach=57293

Or, as you suggested, measure the voltage between Vcc and GND when powering the Arduino through RAW and GND.

• Ok so I have additional stuff to check, I'm using the USB to serial adapter from Kjell & CO. It only 4 pins...

But I understand the problem. Will also check what the USB to serial is connected to if it's the RAW or the Vcc

• Mod

Do you mean this? http://www.kjell.com/se/sortiment/el-verktyg/elektronik/arduino/tillbehor/usb-till-seriell-adapter-for-arduino-p87898
    In that case it supplies 5V so you need to connect it to Raw, GND, Rxd and Txd on the Pro Mini.

• Yes it's that one! I almost sure that I have it connected to the wrong place then... It's connected to the four legs in in the center of the short side of the board.

• Mod

Yeah, that should be the source of the problem. The Arduino and the radio are getting 5V and they don't like that. Use the RAW pin instead and you should be fine.

You might want to buy a ftdi adapter from the link above. They are quite cheap, and work well. You need to press the reset button on the Arduino every time you upload a sketch, right? With the 6-pin ftdi adapter you don't need to do that anymore. That, and the ability to switch between 3.3 and 5V is really nice.

• Mod

Oh, and welcome to the MySensors forum 🙂 Great to have more fellow Swedes here 🙂

• Thanks a lot for your support and the warm welcome! I'll report back when I have verified at home and I will also considering buying a new 'progaming' cable

• For the first time it has been working for more that 5 hours...
    It seems as I feed 5V on the Vcc pin on my mini pro.

Thanks a lot for all help!

• The same issue here!

I got a 'nice' FTDI adapter with 5v <-> 3.3v switch.... After experiencing the same, i noticed that the switch on the adapter is bogus and it always outputs 5v... 😲

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics