Mysensors on ESP8266- ESP01?

• Hi,

I have few ESP8266-ESP01 from a previous project.

Do you know if it's possible to use it in place of NRF24L01?

I know that we can configure it in LUA or Arduino language directly; Do you know if we can upload MySensors sketch Child on it, for example the Relay sketch? Ok, there are only 2 GPIO, but for many use it's enough; Also, you can avoid to have Atmega+NRF for each Child, reducing the volume of a Child.

Thanks for your feedback, and sorry if it's a silly question!

• @Elfnoir

I don't know about the limitations of the ESP01 as I don't have any, but I use several other ESP8266 models as stand alone sensor or actuator nodes by flashing MySensors sketches on them, and join them to my network like any other Arduino/Nrf24L01 based node. I use Vera and for a single sensor node, Vera creates two devices - one for the node and one for the sensor or actuator. One difference between a regular MySensors device and the ESP is that the node device is esentially its own gateway as it uses WiFi to communicate straight to the controller and does not communicate thru my Ethernet GW like the NRf nodes. It shows up in Vera like the original plugin.

There are other ways to join ESP8266s to a controller but I prefer MySensors as the protocols and device types are already established through the plugin so there is no extra lua or http coding required.

• @Dwalt Thanks for your feedback! Do you have any URL / tutorial to explain how to flash an ESP8266 with MySensors sketches please?
    Also what kind of ESP8266 do you use? Is it ESP8266-012 please?

• @Elfnoir There are a various tutorials for using the Arduino IDE for flashing sketches onto ESP8266 on the internet. I don't remember which I used originally. Firstly, you need to add the ESP8266 to the IDE through the board manager. Secondly, Unlike the Arduino, the ESP needs to be set into bootloader mode to load a sketch. Whereas the Arduino bootloader looks for an incoming upload when the chip is reset (For most boards, the IDE automatically resets the chip when you begin an upload). The ESP needs its GPIO-0 drawn to ground when it is reset to enter bootloader mode so it can be a little trickier to wire up

I used the development branch of MySensors to create ESP nodes using the GatewayESP8266.ino sketch. I just remove the

#define MY_RADIO_NRF24

and any bits about inclusion buttons and then add my particular parts to the setup, presentation and loop parts of the sketch depending on my attached sensors. There are more tricky details to the process but it isn't much different than creating a Arduino/nRf sensor node. I agree a tutorial is in order but the process is still evolving that is why it is the "development " branch.

I use some of the ESP-12, the Huzzah from adafruit and i have several commercial products with imbedded ESP8266 which i reflashed and MySensorized™. I will try this weekend to document a project in detail. Too busy today.

• @Dwalt said:

I use some of the ESP-12, the Huzzah from adafruit and i have several commercial products with imbedded ESP8266 which i reflashed and MySensorized™. I will try this weekend to document a project in detail. Too busy today.

Have you done the documentation?

• @Dwalt

Hi,

Im also looking for documentation on this 🙂

Regards,
    Jan

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics