[SOLVED] Radio init failed

• Hi,

I am very new with Arduino and I am doing my first project regarding this. I have build an ethernet gateway based on an Arduino Uno and I use the NRF2401+ Radio device. When I connect the Uno to my laptop; everything seems to be OK. I am using it from Domoticz and i don't see any issues (yet) on my Ethernet Gateway, I can succesfully access it.

Now for the sensors; I have a Arduino Nano (AtMega328) and I want to make lightlux sensor. Now; I have connected the Radio device and i get an error message (using the serial monitor) that says "Radio init Failed" after I upload the sketch. I have reconnected and checked the wiring multiple times, also I have used several different radio's, but the problem remains.
    I am still in a lab setup. Unfortunately i don't have a decoupling capacitor for 5v to 3.3v; therefor, as a test, I took the 3.3 power of the Uno (which has 3.3v) and used that to feed the radio. I think as a test this should work, but any help is appreciated? Where can I look next?

Thanks!

• Hardware Contributor

You are on the right track.
    Radio init fail means 1) Not wired correctly 2) Not powered correctly 3) Not a nrf24 with +
    Do you have a capacitor between grn/vcc on the 3.3v radio? This can make difference...

The nano should also have 3.3v just as the uno i think.

Some reading regarding + and not + Nrf modules.
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/1153/we-are-mostly-using-fake-nrf24l01-s-but-worse-fakes-are-emerging/4
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/1664/which-are-the-best-nrf24l01-modules/2

• Thanks for the quick reply. I am not sure if the nano has 3.3 v. See link:
    https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardNano
    I do see a 3v3 connection; Is this the 3.3 volt connection?

But to answer you're question:

1. Could be; but I have checked it several times and recreated everything on my switchboard.
    2. As a test; took the 3.3v power of the Uno (but I am not sure if the nano has 3.3 v). This should be sufficient for the test I think?
    3. Checked the label on the chip; it does say +; I have red the topic but I think everything is looking OK ? Besides the chip is there another way to see if it is the + or not?

Thanks!

• Hardware Contributor

As for the nano with 3.3v - yes it has, look at petewills tutorial from mysensors build site.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBvGrB094Co This is how you should connect it and no - its not a good idea to take power from one board and connect it to another.

1. Ok, sounds good - then this is probably not the problem
    2. See above, use nano for power and wiring
    3. You can see some pictures in the links i posted how a real + should look like.

• I had the same issue, tripplechecked my wiring and still had the issue. Added a decoupling capacitor between gcc and power and voilá it worked. So i would suggest starting with a capacitor, i use 10uf but others use 4.7uf with same effect.

• Woehoe... Success. It indeed was a power issue. My nano got a 3.3v connector; didn't know that, reconnected to it and it worked.I still don't know for sure why I couldn't use the power of my Uno, but ..this works OK and I see the Lux device in Domoticz 🙂
    I think I still need to decoupling capacitor, but I need to order that on ebay.. I don't have that ...

• Hardware Contributor

Or order from local supplier. They are very cheap.

• hello i have the same problem i tried different power source... (le33,ftdi3.3, 3.3 v of arduino uno ) but nothing... i have tried Decoupling-Capacitor and again nothing. also i have triple check the wires. but nothing.
    my radio is nrf24l01+ and works (ihave tested it to my gateway)
    my board is arduino pro mini 3,3

thanks

• @nikolian said:

hello i have the same problem i tried different power source... (le33,ftdi3.3, 3.3 v of arduino uno ) but nothing... i have tried Decoupling-Capacitor and again nothing. also i have triple check the wires. but nothing.
    my radio is nrf24l01+ and works (ihave tested it to my gateway)
    my board is arduino pro mini 3,3

thanks

I had the same problem, but I also found out that it is the lux meter itself. When there is no or almost none sunlight it simply does not send any data and it feels like it does not work.. if you're testing, do it in daylight and have patience. At the end everything did work for me, also with a powersupply of 5v.

The one thing I found strange. I connected a 9v battery to the sensor. The lux meter drained it within 3 days, so I find that extremely fast.. I hoped it was usable with a battery, unfortunetaly it does not.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics