Real world estimation of NRF24L range

• Hi all,

I am starting out with building up my MySensors modules, and I am finding that the range on the NRF24L's seem to be quite variable, as well as quite small!

I have my controller radio with the SMA connection and larger antenna, and the remote modules have the NRF24L with just the PCB antenna.

I find that some modules are working at ranges of approx 8m through a single leaf brick wall, and others are struggling at that distance. I had another unit that works at a range of around 13m through either 4 single leaf brick walls, or on a reflective route of around 15m if the signal was travelling through the hallway (I'm not sure which path the signal was taking, so it could be either!).

I have fitted 22uF caps that I salvaged from an old UPS circuit board as I haven't had a chance to hit the electronics store (Might try and get out there this weekend if the significant other lets me), to trial a 4.7uF cap - is there a risk or difference to be gained between a 22uF and a 4.7uF cap?

I haven't tried powering the radio's from the 5V supply run through an LM33 yet, for the same reason above (No access to the electronics store) so these are all running from the arduino nano's 3.3V output, but do people find that it makes a huge difference in the effective range?

What kinds of range do other people get from their modules? I'm just interested to know if other people are getting the same kind of range as me, or less or more.

Thanks! 🙂

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics