what are the additional components on a relay board for?

• Hey there,

I thought about building a node with relays to controll my light. I looked for the relay and noticed these boards with added components (ICs, resistors,...) in the shop. What are they good for? Can't I just buy a bare relay module and mount it with screw terminals on a custom PCB?
    And what is meant with "Make sure to power the relay module separately if you use more than one relay." (http://www.mysensors.org/build/relay)? Does this mean to power VCC and GND seperatly or will the current on the data pin cause instabilities with several relays working?

Best regards,
    Anduril

The extra components on the board are mostly an optocoupler and nescessary compenents to let that work. A relay consists of a coil (inductive resistance) which can ruin your arduino if directly attached. Thats the reason for the optocoupler. The same goes for powering the relay. An inductive component make a lot of "noise" on the power line when operated. Also it takes a substantial amount of power whicht is to much for the regulator on a standard arduino. I would allways recommend separate power for one to many relays.

• thanks for the clarification. I'm not going to use the regulator at all, as I'm powering the whole setup with a HLK-PM01 (when it finally arrives).

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics