Temperature Sensors Inside Enclosures

• So I have been experimenting, and building multiple temp/humidity/lux/pir sensors and have noticed that any temperature sensors I have in my project enclosures are reading anywhere from 3-8 degrees F higher than those I have in open air(either not yet put into enclosures or some sensors which arent going in enclosures).

How is everyone managing this differential? I have plans for 8-9 different sensors, each serving some different functions, being in different locations, etc, but want temp sensing on each of them. What are people doing for their sensebender boards, which have the sensor integrated? Using DHT22 I suppose I could just pop the face of the sensor out the side of the boxes. But my dallas sensors, those are a little wonky....

I have so far only built always on sensors, powered via wall plugs. I am hoping battery powered will not have this issue? But also, I need to find a way to correct the issue on my wall powered projects.

Any thoughts appreciated.

• I have not had problems with enclosures per se, but I have seen temperature differentials due to locations exposed to direct sunlight and up against thermal masses such as a external walls or internal walls with enclosed heating ducts or hot water piping. I have four sensebenders in vented enclosures mounted on interior walls and have no problem with their accuracy. They are also loosely mounted inside their enclosures which may help them avoiding picking up heat from the walls. Overall, they seem much more consistent and accurate than the several DHT or Dallas sensors I have in my system.

• @Dwalt said:

I have not had problems with enclosures per se, but I have seen temperature differentials due to locations exposed to direct sunlight and up against thermal masses such as a external walls or internal walls with enclosed heating ducts or hot water piping. I have four sensebenders in vented enclosures mounted on interior walls and have no problem with their accuracy. They are also loosely mounted inside their enclosures which may help them avoiding picking up heat from the walls. Overall, they seem much more consistent and accurate than the several DHT or Dallas sensors I have in my system.

Thanks for the reply, perhaps my issue stems from my enclosures being mostly sealed. No venting what so ever. I did a quick test of a few of my sensors, opening the boxes and letting them sit in open air and the differentials came down substantially.

Will look in to adding some venting!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics