Low power battery operated actuators (such as radiator valves)

• Hi all,

I'm looking to make my own wireless radiator valves that hook into the MySensors network. However, it seems as though anything that receives messages to switch things or move things needs to be permanently powered up. I've read through the hardware designs and don't see anything that can accomplish this with the node in sleep so it is able to run for months / years from batteries?

So, I've thought of a couple of solutions. I see the RF module has an INT output on receiving certain messages. Would it be possible to wake the Arduino from sleep when a message comes in? Is the protocol used suitable for this? And if so, does the radio module work at sufficiently low power to work for long periods from batteries?

Or...

Design a node that wakes ever X second and sends a message to the controller,. The controller responds with a control message to tell it to do something (or nothing). It then sleeps again to conserve power.

Option 1 would give low power, instant control while option 2 would allow control only every X seconds (fine for a radiator valve).

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Or maybe point me to the documentation that I've missed where it's already been discussed / designed / implemented?

Cheers,
    Stu

• Hardware Contributor

Hi!
    If the radio doesnt sleep you will consume pretty much power and have to change batteries often.
    Option 2 is better if you dont need instant changes on the radiator.

• Mod

This post is deleted!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics