Are schematics that hard to read?

I'm noticing more and more often project descriptions (including here) are omitting schematics, in favor of pseudo-photo wiring diagrams.

I find good old eletronic schematics a lot easier to read and understand. At a glance I can see "Ah, they are using D10 for the interrupt, not D9, so I would have to change the code..." or whatever.

I would really love to see projects always include a schematic; if it's aimed at beginners who may not find that sufficient, I could see sometimes supplementing that with a wiring diagram too. Even for them, having a schematic too may be helpful - either to answer a question, or to help them become familiar and comfortable with schematics if they want.

Am I just an old fogey, or are there others who prefer schematics to wiring diagrams?

Soapbox off.

• Contest Winner

I believe most people sticking to pseudo-photo diagrams are folks unfamiliar or uncomfortable with EDA-tools. For someone who have not worked with such tools, obtaining the proper component libraries for schematic symbols and such might be a daunting task as compared with one that already have the tools and environment set up for MySensors related design (or similar).
    So although I agree that it would be nice if everyone could use formalized documentation (schematics that is) many "non-electrical engineers" use a strictly plug-and-play approach with a Arduino, a wired sensor, and a breadboard to do their prototyping and then more or less directly wire their sensor together without any custom PCB.

• Mod

Maybe 123d.circuits.io is a good alternative for MySensors users.
    It has an editor like Fritzing, which you can easily toggle to schematics view or PCB design.
    It is even able to simulate Arduino with running code!
    Quite impressive.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics