[newbie] Using nRF24L0 (2,4Ghz) or RFM69 (433Mhz)?

• Hi!

I'm just starting with Arduino and was hoping to build some own sensors to use with my smart home-system.

I am using a Vera Edge with an additional RFXtrx433 transceiver (for 433Mhz devices like temperature sensors and Nexa light switches).

If I want to start building MySensors, it seems I would have to build a serial gateway using a Nano. The gateway seems to keep in touch with the DIY sensors using 2,4Ghz (using nRF24L0+ radio modules).

However, the instructions it also mentions a different radio, RFM69, that transmit on 433Mhz.

My two questions:

1. Are there any pros and cons using nRF24L0 (2,4Ghz) or RFM69 (433Mhz)?

2. Can I build sensors using the RFM69 (433Mhz) that my RFXtrx433 transceiver can work with? If yes, do I then need a serial gateway?

• Mod

@Aron-Sjöberg welcome to the MySensors community!

1. Nrf is cheaper. 433 generally has better range.
    2. You might be able to, but you wouldn't be able to use MySensors

• Thanks mfalkvidd!

RFM69 seems the way to go. I'm living in the countryside so distance is a issue...

I ordered some $100 worth of components. If nothing else it will be a fun learning experience. I have also ordered a Z-Uno, so it will be fun to compare the two approaches communicating with Vera.

• +1 for RFM(433Mhz)
    I´m already running NRF and keeping it (have build many nodes on it). But, for example I have a garage (steel structure with sheet-metal paneling) and its ca.6 meters from NRF gateway - no signal! Same distance RFlink (433Mhz) works just fine.

Users

Topics

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.