3D printing of custom casings

• Contest Winner

I was considering getting myself a 3D printer, but space and time votes against it, so I am considering using other vendors to print my design (or if possible, re-use existing designs for 3D manufacture).
    Does anybody have a good online provider of custom 3D printed objects? Or are there anyone on the forum that could do 3D printed items (for compensation obviously).
    Are there any good, reasonably easy to use, 3D design software suitable for case design? I don't think I'll need curves and nice features, simple blocks and holes for mounting screws should be enough.

• Contest Winner

@Anticimex

3D Hub

you should try to quote a few local guys, you may find a good one that is reasonable.

• Contest Winner

@BulldogLowell Thanks! That is excellent!

• @Anticimex

You may want to checkout resources your city may have...the Toronto public library offers really cheap 3D printing services

• Contest Winner

@Anticimex

look at this for your design stuff. free and easy

AutoDesk 123D Design

• I use SketchUp for my 3D prints. You will need to install a couple plug-ins, a converter to stereo-lithograph file (.stl), and also useful to get the 'round corners' and 'soap-skin and bubble' plug-ins. Check out the MOD-t on Indiegogo, I'm getting one of those printers. Currently, I use a Makerbot.

• Contest Winner

Thanks for the tips guys. I have used sketch up before, but for apartment-level of modeling. I found it a bit too clunky for precision work. I have created an account at tinkercad which seem interesting. I believe it is similar to the autodesk tool, but online only. I'll tinker with it for a while to see if it meets my demands.

• Don't underestimate the power of SketchUp. The main problem with SketchUp is that it is easy to get started, but takes a long time to master. I'm still learning and I've been a casual user for 5 years, or so. Our architects used SketchUp to design every last detail of our new house. And I have done some very fine precision work on rope tension holders that print perfectly.

...Now getting the printer settings correct is another story...

• Contest Winner

@therik you're probably right. But I think I'll start of with something more feature poor tools and design my gateway box and get it printed and evaluate the result before I consider more sophisticated tools. I'll put the design on the forum for sure if anybody is interested. I'm going to build it from modules found in the MySensors store and a perma-proto board. Not pretty but when inside a box it wouldn't matter 🙂

• Mod

@Anticimex I am with @therik .
    In fact I found that creating a casing in SketchUp was not too difficult.
    But, to be honest, I am waiting for my 3D printer so I don't know yet how good the design is.

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman it was a couple of years since I used it. Perhaps it has improved. Last time it was barely usable, bloated and very slow. Making cut-outs was incomprehensible, faces randomly disappeared, and it hade a tendency to crash. But you get what you pay for, and I know for sure that there are free tools that are very powerful once you get the hang of then. The gEDA toolsuite is a perfect example of that.

• Mod

@Anticimex I have not experienced once what you describe.
    I guess SketchUp is more mature now.
    Having said that I was a bit overwhelmed when I started and tried 123 Design.
    I found that to be the stupidest platform for 3D ever.
    But that could just be me...

• Contest Winner

@marceltrapman Hehe, I think this is a matter of taste. Anyway, I will start off with tinkercad and if the first "product" is successful, I am going to try to convert it to SketchUp format (basically, redesigning it in SketchUp) to see if it can be done just as easy there. I have heard rumors that tinkercad with shut down it's free online service, so this might happen sooner than later...

• Contest Winner

Actually, one thing that speaks for SketchUp is the availability of other designs. So for a case-design, it should be possible to download a 3D model of an Arduino board, in order to make sure it fits well.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics