Help with MQTT gateway

• Gday,

Am quite the beginner and I am having some trouble getting the MQTT gateway working.

So far I have wired up the UNO with the radio & W5100, changed the MyConfig H file to uncomment out the softspi, uploaded the sketch with the only change to the IP (192.168.0.100).
    I used the 1.5.3 version of sketches.

When I go to the router page to see if it is connected it does not appear.
    Of course I can not connect with MQTTlens to check the messages.

Could someone help me figure this out?

Regards,
    George

Hi George,

Do you see any messages on the serial port? ( you may have to enable debug messages..but i think they are on by default)

You should also be able to ping it from your PC if the ethernet is working.

• Greg,

Thanks for that.

Interestingly the gateway does not show up in the router listing however it appears to be working quite ok.

I have managed to get MQTTlens connected and can see my PIR sensor tripping! Now to see if I can get openHAB talking to it.

Just another couple of questions.
    Does it matter if I turn on the gateway before or after turning on the sensor/s?
    Would it be best to persevere with the MQTT gateway (I think I read support for it might end soon?) or try to fire up the MQTT client gateway?

Thanks again.

Kind Regards,
    George

• Maybe the gateway does not seem to be recognized by the router is that because the MAC address is not a valid one of the static IP you defined in the program does not match your router's subnet

Ive been testing the mqtt-client gateway from the dev branch for the past month or so, and its been rock solid. I'm using it with OpenHab2 beta2...so if your not too far down with your deployment of sensors, I would go with the dev branch.

With respect to you not seeing the gateway in your "router listing" - im assuming you mean the DHCP table the router keeps for IP addresses it has allocated. So if you set the IP address in the sketch, its a static address and did not ask the router for the IP, thus it wont be in the list.

No it doesn't matter if the gateway is up before the sensors or vice-versa. Assuming you have set the same radio channel they will find one another again.

• @gregl thanks for that I will give the MQTT client gateway a try.

Yes it makes sense now why I can't see the MQTT gateway in the router, quite new to this so it a bit of a learning curve.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    George

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics