Cloud storage for home automation?

• Hey guys!

I'm really concerned about cloud storage for home automation. Why is it so frequently used by all hub providers? It feels like people just accept it and it sounds like a smart way to deal with your data, but what about the security threats? Companies like Smartthings and Wink, to name a few, provide only online features. I had a hard time looking up only locally stored and found out that HomeSeer partially does it. However, after more research, I finally found that Animus Home does it and abandons the cloud. Do you guys know if there are more companies out there that offers an offline smart home except Animus Home? I do want to buy an existing hub instead of building my own, just so you know.

What are your opinions about cloud storage for home automation?

• Admin

The data is mine, no one else should have access to it, unless I give them permissions..

That's also why I have my own setup (influxdb/grafana for nice graphs of data). That doesn't help you much as it seems that you want a pre-build box, that handles everything..

The only thing that I probably would consider for cloud storrage, is outdoor weather information πŸ™‚

• Look into the Vera. Although you do have to have Internet access to set it up, I believe the only thing stored there is your user information and a few minor things. I know you do not have to have Internet access to make it work. i. e. Power failure.

HomeSeer is fully functional without internet/cloud access. They do offer some cloud integration, but you have control over whether that is enabled and it works fine without it.

Cheers
    Al

• @tbowmo said:

The only thing that I probably would consider for cloud storrage, is outdoor weather information πŸ™‚

Haha, the weather information sounds like a plausible incentive for cloud storage!

Thanks for the answers guys! I'm not that tech so getting a hub is definitely more suitable for me. I just want to feel comfortable with my choice and not rush into things. I think that there is a lack of transparency from the companies. For instance, implementing locks and home security requires bulletproof encryption and local storage is by far the best option for that matter. Video from surveillance cameras and password/authorization data should not be stored somewhere else in my opinion. I'm all about the integrity πŸ™‚

HomeSeer doesn't really convince me in general though...

• I just wanted to update about Animus Home, I thought it would be interesting for you guys as well. They have just launched an Indiegogo campaign with their home automation hub. No cloud storage of course. I'm definitely following.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animus-home-give-your-smart-home-a-heart--2#/

• Seems that's the wrong link: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/animus-home-give-your-smart-home-a-heart--2#/

@viableoption reminds me of NinjaSphere and the broken dreams with that. I get put off by smart home hubs that are too focused on a phone app.. You're just turning off lights with your phone. Nothing smart about that IMO.

• @Qu3Uk Thanks!

True, an app for the phone to turn on the lights is nothing special nowadays. However, be able to control multiple devices and allow communication between is more interesting.

• Your concerns are absolutely valid! And, BTW congratulations for being one of the few nowadays that question these sort of things (privacy, security) in general, instead of just blindly accepting them!

Why would you not consider rolling your own? There are a number of inexpensive hardware available, and a number of software choices (and/or combinations of softwares that integrate well together) that will let you do almost whatever you want.

Going the commercial "out of the box" route may be the easiest to get started, but you may eventually run in to proprietary lock in, incompatibility, and/or missing one or more certain features that you really need (some of which, may not even be apparent at the current time).

It is for these reasons that I tend personally to lean more in the direction of rolling my own, and using open source software, hardware, etc. You can do whatever you want to, and it's almost always costs less money. πŸ™‚ If things end up not working out with one system, you can change software later and go in another direction, you still own your hardware. But, you will need to spend a little time learning some things. Is that so bad? πŸ™‚

There are many guides, much useful information, and many helpful communities (like this one!) on the internet nowadays; it's really not that difficult. Plus, it is very rewarding learning and figuring things out and accomplishing them. πŸ™‚

How much/what kind of data do you need to store? Just the HA setup? Sounds like maybe security system video as well? Video can take up a lot of HDD space (or bandwidth, so much in fact that it is probably not practical to upload). Do you also need a backup solution also for perhaps photos and/or other data?

Give us a little more information about what you want your ultimate, complete dream system to eventually look like and include, and that will allow us to recommend some hardware and software which will (eventually) meet that goal.

Begin with the end in mind, I say. It will save you a lot of time, headaches, and $ down the road.

• Contest Winner

I'm also one of the few people that has "keep your own data in your own home" as a rule. I'm saving some money for the following setup:

• New router which must support 5Ghz and has a good Wifi connection (My wifi is currently blown away by my neighbours). Also it's a must that I can install OpenWRT on that router. With this router I'm creating a DMZ. I need that router, because the one I got from my ISP only supports up to 10 static IP's. Besides I want to be able to run my own local DNS.
    • New ATA motherboard with harddisk and 16Gb memory. I want to install xpenology on that computer. But it will also have 12 Gb more memory than a synology. So that I can install my MQTT bus on it, my private cloud e.t.c. XPenology is a branch of the synology OS all synology software works also on XPEnology.

• @TRS-80 said:

Your concerns are absolutely valid! And, BTW congratulations for being one of the few nowadays that question these sort of things (privacy, security) in general, instead of just blindly accepting them!

Why would you not consider rolling your own? There are a number of inexpensive hardware available, and a number of software choices (and/or combinations of softwares that integrate well together) that will let you do almost whatever you want.

Going the commercial "out of the box" route may be the easiest to get started, but you may eventually run in to proprietary lock in, incompatibility, and/or missing one or more certain features that you really need (some of which, may not even be apparent at the current time).

It is for these reasons that I tend personally to lean more in the direction of rolling my own, and using open source software, hardware, etc. You can do whatever you want to, and it's almost always costs less money. πŸ™‚ If things end up not working out with one system, you can change software later and go in another direction, you still own your hardware. But, you will need to spend a little time learning some things. Is that so bad? πŸ™‚

There are many guides, much useful information, and many helpful communities (like this one!) on the internet nowadays; it's really not that difficult. Plus, it is very rewarding learning and figuring things out and accomplishing them. πŸ™‚

How much/what kind of data do you need to store? Just the HA setup? Sounds like maybe security system video as well? Video can take up a lot of HDD space (or bandwidth, so much in fact that it is probably not practical to upload). Do you also need a backup solution also for perhaps photos and/or other data?

Give us a little more information about what you want your ultimate, complete dream system to eventually look like and include, and that will allow us to recommend some hardware and software which will (eventually) meet that goal.

Begin with the end in mind, I say. It will save you a lot of time, headaches, and $ down the road.

Thanks for effort! πŸ™‚ However, I just feel that it's way more complex, which is a bit unfortunate. It's not motivating for me to change software/hardware over time, it feels a bit unnecessary and it may increase the odds of adding devices in an non-optimal way. The things is that I don't have so many devices to start with and I see this as a project. Therefore, getting a solution, that will eventually solve all my problems, is more suitable for me. I don't need to think so much about the hardware/software, instead, I can focus on the devices and what they can do together πŸ™‚

I don't mind learning new stuff, it's just that I already have a pile of those things already haha, or at least time consuming hobbies/duties.

In the future, I would like to have the following:
    lamps, sensors, kitchen appliances, blinds, speakers, TV, smoke detectors, alarm system, assistance/surveillance for pets and kids. I want multiple integration and communication to set up scenarios; Moreover, dinner time, movie time, gaming time, morning routines, alarm package, party or social gatherings and so forth.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics