Which flux cleaner do you like the best?

I've been using 99%+ isopropyl alcohol as a flux cleaner after soldering, Although it will eventually get the job done, I'd like to find a solvent that works faster but which is still safe for components' packaging on the PCB.

Anyone found a flux cleaner which is better than isopropyl alcohol?

• Mod

Although aggressive, paint thinner normally gets the job done.

• Hardware Contributor

@NeverDie
    I usually use same as you when I need..
    and it depends of the solder+flux used. for solderpaste, I usually use no clean. if not heated too much or high impedance circuit, that does not need cleaning...
    for other, I use isopro. you're right isopro need a bit help by brushing a bit sometimes. I know there are some flux cleaner which are very agressive too...I don't want to use water cleaning on my side...the idea of having water which can go in parts which don't like this treatment, or maybe the water could drain some impurities inside...maybe paranoid!
    I read once that it could be possible to mix isopro + flux remover. less expensive and maybe more active than just isopro. I have never tried. Something I would like to see is if a mini ultrasonic cleaner works nice too, there are some cheap....

but I don't really need all of this for the moment...or perhaps I should try to mix isopro with some well known chemtronics flux remover just to see if it boost.The CZ seems nice.

I had been spraying it on from an aerosol can of isopropyl alcohol, and then scrubbing it with a toothbrush. However, it generally takes anywhere from 2 to 5 iterations to get it clean. All-in-all it seems like more effort than it should be. Afterward, I typically blow it with compressed air to make it dry very quickly, so that it can be handled immediately and put to use.

Even though a flux may be labeled as "no clean" required, it can still be sticky. Mainly for that reason, I'd rather just get it off once and for all rather than have it transfer to my hands and whatever else later. If it dried hard and non-sticky, like an epoxy, then maybe I wouldn't care, but it doesn't.

• Hardware Contributor

almost same thing for me.., strangely, I have no problem with noclean, it's always dried.. perhaps lucky, or the brand..mostly chipquick for me.

@scalz

Thanks! I have a tube of the chipquick which came with the desoldering alloy, but I had never gotten around to using it because it wasn't in a syringe. I'll switch-over to it the next time I solder.

I had been using MG Chemicals 8341 No Clean Flux Paste, 10 ml Syringe, which seems to work well, except for the sticky residue.

Also, I've noticed with a paste I end up applying more than I need, to ensure good coverage, which undoubtedly exacerbates the cleanup problem. I need to find a good no-clean liquid flux that I can apply very thinly with a brush or something. So, if anyone has a favorite that works well for them, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Meanwhile, I'll try the chipquick, which looks like it's a gel of some kind.

• Hmmm I think I have flux cored solder. Have never used flux as a separate entity or flux cleaner for that matter. Suspect its time to educate myself.

@Matt

If you look closely you'll probably notice a standardized code on your solder spool, which, if you look it up, will tell you how aggressive the flux is and whether or not it should be cleaned off.

@scalz
    Unfortunately, I didn't like the chipquick flux performance as much, so I reverted back to what I had been using.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics