πŸ’¬ Ebyte nRF52832 Small Breakout Board

I just now added the schematic. Sorry the formatting isn't more pretty, but it serves the purpose. Other than labeling the pins, this project is now largely finished.

I just now posted Version 6, which adds an LED and a copper pour. Also updated the schematic.

BOM completed.

Just now posted Version 7, which improves the layout.

Just now posted Version 8, which adds labels for each of the pins on the 6-pin serial connection.

That's it! I've shipped the files to the fab.

It works. Project completed. πŸ™‚

Fixed a small typo on the bottom silkscreen. "RXO" should have been "RXI". Now fixed.

• Hey I'm working on a similar board but with a few more options from the Dev Kit. I have 2 comments I'd like to make:

1.I think you have the typo / wrong part number for the MPN for the 10uH inductor. Both of your part numbers for inductors are for 15nH Inductors. (no 10uH inducor on your BOM)

The DK Board has the following:
    L2 a 10uH (0603) part number LBMF1608T100K

L3 is a 15nH (0402) part number HK100515NJ-T

I'm tried to find the same families of parts for my board and used the following:

L2 LBMF1608T100K (0603)
    L3 HK160815NJ-T (0603)

1. They also have a 1uF Cap between DEC4 and GND.

I don't see that in your schematic.

I'm not trying to be nit picky, and your board is probably working great, I just wanted to let you know since I'd imagine if you have parts closer to their DK you might get a little better power efficiency / preformance.

@sleet said in πŸ’¬ Ebyte nRF52832 Small Breakout Board:

Hey I'm working on a similar board but with a few more options from the Dev Kit. I have 2 comments I'd like to make:

1.I think you have the typo / wrong part number for the MPN for the 10uH inductor. Both of your part numbers for inductors are for 15nH Inductors. (no 10uH inducor on your BOM)

The DK Board has the following:
    L2 a 10uH (0603) part number LBMF1608T100K

L3 is a 15nH (0402) part number HK100515NJ-T

I'm tried to find the same families of parts for my board and used the following:

L2 LBMF1608T100K (0603)
    L3 HK160815NJ-T (0603)

Good catch! I've fixed the BOM.

1. They also have a 1uF Cap between DEC4 and GND.

I don't see that in your schematic.

I assume it's on the Ebyte module already, because figure 169 from Nordic's nRF52832 datasheet (version 1.3) shows it there for the LDO setup. Ebyte hasn't shared its schematic, though, so it's hard to know for sure.

Are you using the Ebyte nRF52832 module or something else?

• @NeverDie

I was looking for a cheap module and came across your thread where you mentioned the Ebyte nRF52832 board so I ordered some. I'm working on a board for my own BT development projects but since I'm doing it on my own I can’t afford to buy a whole bunch of dev kits so I'm combining the eByte with my own custom board so it can have a little bit of an interface and build it by hand yet still have good RF performance (as you mentioned it was comparable to the DK)

I only signed up because I thought you had a typo and it was the least I could do to help since your thread has been extremely informative for me, saving me from going down the wrong path on a few of those nFR modules.

I recommend snipping off the DTR pin using flush cutters. Given the current configuration, it isn't going to work properly.

• @NeverDie Can you clarify what you mean by the DTR Pin? I'm not following what you're saying here. I'm assuming it's something from the nRF52832 chip but I find nothing about that in the data sheet.

Thanks,

Sure. For the 6-pin male header that's meant to connect to a typical FTDI serial connector, there's a pin that corresponds to the DTR pin on, say, a Pro Mini. In this instance, it's the left-most pin on the 6-pin header if you look at the photo.

• Just discovered your projects. Well done! I've also just received a handful of the ebyte parts over the weekend, and just finishing up hand-wiring one to eval.
    I'm writing you to get your thoughts on where best to obtain an initial small quantity of your nrf52 breakout boards? They'd certainly save a ton of time and headaches w/hand-wiring.
    Can you recommend a pcb vendor? Or, better yet, might you have any 'extra' you'd like to sell to recover some of your costs? I'm working on a self-configuring mesh network using the Nordic parts.
    Thanks - AJ

@alpineJeff said in πŸ’¬ Ebyte nRF52832 Small Breakout Board:

Can you recommend a pcb vendor?

Except for big boards, I mostly use OSH PARK, because they have the fastest turnaround time (generally 1-3 weeks, with an average of 2 weeks). If anyone knows of a faster option, please post, because the fab time is what lows down my work much more than anything else.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics