A super easy MQTT getting starting guide?

Can anyone recommend one?

I did find a recent super easy overview:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GbYkCrbChw
    but I have no idea how to get going with one, or even what platform I should prefer for the broker (arduino, Pi2, PC, or cloud?).

My preferance would be to start with something extremely simple that's already working and then modify it.

Suggestions/recommendations?

• Cloud is probably easiest to get started.. and then depending what you have available you could try mosquitto on windows as a test, assuming you have a windows box already running and then when you are happy with that and understand what is going on then i would suggest investing in something like a raspberry pi so you can have an always on broker on your home network...

I am running mosquito on a Rpi b+ without issues, and also openhab running on the same device, and a mysensors mqtt gateway and several sensor nodes for temp and a power meter that i am working on getting going.

Don't know if that helps.

Gambituk

@Gambituk said:

Cloud is probably easiest to get started.. and then depending what you have available you could try mosquitto on windows as a test, assuming you have a windows box already running and then when you are happy with that and understand what is going on then i would suggest investing in something like a raspberry pi so you can have an always on broker on your home network...

I am running mosquito on a Rpi b+ without issues, and also openhab running on the same device, and a mysensors mqtt gateway and several sensor nodes for temp and a power meter that i am working on getting going.

Don't know if that helps.

Gambituk

Fair enough. Any suggestions as to which cloud would be easiest to get started with?

• Sorry, that's the one step i didn't do, i already had a Rpi, so i started from this step, but i think they should all be somewhat similar, maybe someone else has tried something but i can't offer any genuine advice.

• @Gambituk Is OpenHab stable on the Rpi B+ ? I tried it once but had problems so I'll try it again soon. but It took a lot of time to boot and then failed.

• i am currently using a Rpi II running OpenHab and the Mosquito broker. Startup is slow, but it works. However, I do not have a lot of sensor currently connected.

• @tomkxy Good. Thank you

• @tomkxy Is it stable ? Do you need to restart OpenHab every while ?

• I had to restart this night which was the first restart since months. Tonight the clocks were changed (Daylight Savings Time). I suspect that this was the reason. Apart from that it is absolutely stable.

Looks like your connection to MySensors Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.