Wirsbo/Uponor thermostat replacement

• Hardware Contributor

Hi all
    Here is my first mysensors HW that i developed and also my first post. Not all functions are tested at the moment.
    I started by analyzing the current thermostat on size and function. Then i took all the info and started working with it in designspark.

My plan is to use this with Openhab

Spec
    -Should be able to open/close valve in Uponor system
    -Should in the future be able to open the valve from 0-100% (Think i need to change valves for this)
    -Should fit in the Wirsbo thermostat mechanics
    -The system shall fall back to "old thermostat" function if the home automation stops working by using the knob setting
    -The system shall be built as much as possible on cheap components that could be bought on for example ebay

Old System
    20151231_164549_small.jpg 20151231_164629.jpg

New system
    If only on/off function is requested then the MOC 3023 could be replaced by a a new one with zero crossing detection and then also the zero crossing detector can be omitted (IL250 in the schematic)

Schematic
    upload-150a1152-6fed-4abf-b197-75042bb49eb0

Result
    The HW fits in the old casing
    Not all components are mounted at the moment as i have not received them yet, but the board have partial functions
    20151228_213359_small.jpg

• This was a nice project.

I have a lot of these wirsbo in my home. I hope this will work well

• Hardware Contributor

I hope so to.

At the moment i struggling with the best way to present this sensor to my openhab and also what is the best way to set it up.

Parameters in
    -remote requested temp //temp requested by the home automation system/user (mandatory)
    -hysteresis low, hysteresis high //where to open and close from requested temp point (Setting for the Tech user) 0.5 will be default
    -Update time //how often shall i regulate/change and measure (Setting for tech user) 1min will be default

Parameters out
    -Temperature
    -valve state
    -Info field:
    --Direct requested temp (knob reading)
    --Remote requested temp (See above)
    --Running mode internal/external (fall back if no communication is reaching the thermostat, but thermostat info is visible in system)
    --hysteresis set in thermostat
    --Update time

Anyone got any thoughts on what is the best way to present this.

Fantastic project! I also have a ton of these Wirsbo thermostats (from circa 1999) at home. Some of them have failed and have been bypassed. Remarkably expensive to replace and remarkably dull design wise. I always wanted to build something like this, possibly with the addition of a small oled display and a 3d printed or cnc machined (wood) enclosure.

• Hardware Contributor

New boards ordered. Took the oportunity to add an extra connector for SPI. So this in combination with the SDA/SCA will make it possible to add an OLED.

• Hardware Contributor

Finally my new boards have arrived, made some mistakes on the first one.
    0_1458579438206_20160321_172653 [297988] (2).jpg

• Hi,
    Nice project. I have started similar "upgrade".
    But my plan is to have separate temp/humidity sensors that reports to the VERA.
    And then have a separate controller that open/close the valves/attenuators.
    Now I have some sensors connected. My next step is to create one arduino/MySensor PID controller.
    This should get actual temp and setpoint from VERA.

For a fallback I have some Ideas.

• Use some Pre Programmed settings.
    • Last PID settings
    • Get information directly from each sensor. (setup from VERA)

Looking forward to follow your project 🙂

• Hardware Contributor

Now the code is tested against openhab2.0 after some work adding HVAC in the binding. Will make a pull request for the binding part soon
    0_1458674411278_upload-75e8cbec-c0dc-4aa4-91e2-1361eadfe771

• Hardware Contributor

2 boards completely assembled and working as expected. 3 more to go after ordering the missing components. Now some last fixes to the code so that memory can be wiped by pressing a button and also the check if connected to the home automation system if not a fallback should be initiated
    0_1459366791462_20160330_205611_resized_1.jpg

@Denke Any updates to this project? Did you deploy the sensors? Any issues or has it been smooth sailing for the last couple of years?

• Hardware Contributor

@bjornhallberg The sensors are working fine and have been installed in my home for the last couple of years. Some optimisation needs to be done to the code, that i have not done. This is more connected to understanding when the mysensors network is in "range" as i want to fallback on the manual knob if the mysensor network is inactive for some reason or if i sell the house and the controller goes with me.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics