Quick question about how gateways and nodes report

• I'm trying to write a controller and am trying to account for fringe cases. Say the power turns off and then comes back on and both the gateway and sensor start simultaneously -- will the gateway always report its full startup before it receives node messages? I would assume the gateway won't respond to the find parent until after it's fully initialized, but I just want to make sure. This will help me determine when I need to create certain objects in the controller.

• Admin

It'll send "gateway ready" when a controller connects (ethernet) or at startup (serial gw). It'll answer find parent requests regardless if a controller is connected or not.

From a controller perspective you should't have to care about the internal find-parent communication between nodes. It isn't propagated to the controller.

• @hek

Thanks -- one other quick question: am I right in assuming a child sensors will only ever send "set" message types and will only be routed "req" types?

For example, I'll never see a message like this:

3; 3; 3; 0; 9; etc

right? Nodes would send that sort of message, but never a child:

3; 255; 3; 0; 9; etc

yes? I'm assuming this because most nodes just report a setting or get set to something, they don't have any intelligence beyond that, that all exists on the child's node.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics