Is there anything stored on Gateway's EEPROM? Include sensor issue.

• Hi Guys,

Just starting out with this and hats off to you for building the library and the support community.

Is there anything stored on Gateway's EEPROM? I am asking because I am currently testing with different sensors using the same arduino board.

I have built an Ethernet Geteway using latest stock code.
    VeraLite is successfully connected.
    Humidity/Temperate Sensor worked and the values showed up on VeraLite UI5.

Then I deleted the Humidity/Temperate Sensor and proceed with the relay example -

1. I deleted the devices from Vera
    2. Used the Clear EEPROM Config sketch
    3. Updated the Relay Sketch to Sensor
    4. Tried to include the new sensor to Vera
    5. What happens in that sometimes Vera finds the 2 sensors - Repeater and Light Switch (it worked once and I was able to command the on/off clicks from Vera Dashboard). Then I proceeded with a new Ardunio board to finalize this sensor to put it in a box. I did steps 1-4 again. Now, 98% for the times after doing steps 1-4 this new sensor does not get included (0 sensors found) or just the Repeater gets included (1 sensors found) or 0 sensors found but 3-4 Repeaters gets added (Repeater 0, Repeater 29, Repeater 31) to Vera's dashboard? - possibly because I have repeated these steps several times.

What can I do to completely remove these from the Controller, Gateway and Sensor that I am not currently doing?

Thanks for any help in advance.

• Admin

The gateway stores routing information in EEPROM.

And yes, a repeater increases complexity and could cause missed messages but not 98%. Try to restart Vera to see if there are any hidden devices.

• Hi @hek ,

That didn't work. I restarted the Vera. When devices are deleted from Vera, is the routing also deleted from the Gateway (or is that not an issue even if it is not deleted)? While testing with various sensors using the same boards - if the sensor was originally ID 1 and was a humidity sensor, then its EEPROM cleared, now the same sensor is maybe ID 1 again but is a relay/switch. Even though it was removed from Vera, would there be challenges on the gateway side?

I went ahead and cleared EEPROM of both gateway and sensor and re-flashed them. Removed all related devices from VeraLite and restarted. At this point I have 1 gateway and 1 sensor (relay light switch) in the same room. I have added the capacitor on both radios to rule out communication issues. Sensor and Geteway sketches are untouched other than changing the IP address on gateway.

This is the log from the sensor and gateway.
    [[[[Sensor]]]]...
    send: 255-255-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0,st=fail:
    req node id
    send: 255-255-255-0 s=255,c=3,t=3,pt=0,l=0,st=fail:
    repeater started, id 255
    req node id
    req node id
    req node id
    req node id
    req node id

[[[[Gateway]]]]...
    0;0;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.
    0;0;3;0;5;1
    0;0;3;0;5;1
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 255-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0:
    0;0;3;0;9;send: 0-0-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1,st=fail:0
    0;0;3;0;9;read: 255-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=7,pt=0,l=0:
    0;0;3;0;9;send: 0-0-255-255 s=255,c=3,t=8,pt=1,l=1,st=fail:0
    0;0;3;0;5;0

Any ideas? I am a bit puzzled as all of this worked yesterday and me re-flashing the sensor board again and again while testing with other sensors caused the issue. Is there a page where the meaning of the above communications is explained?

• Also, before I re-flashed both gateway and sensor, I played with Humidity, Door/Window switch, Light Relay.
    I removed all these devices from Vera and restarted.
    Then I cleared only the sensor EEPROM and flashed with Humidity sensor again.
    When added to Vera, it found 2 Repeaters and 1 Door/Window switch (not Humidity) which makes me believe some ID's are somewhere getting cached.

• Admin

The com failures has nothing to do with Vera/routing. You must solve them first. Try some other powersource/cap size/type.

• Thanks, that helps to know that radios are not connecting to each other. I understand they are two different issues and sorry for merging them in the same thread. This all worked pretty good a couple of days ago. I will try other power supply. Come to think of it, I believe I added the capacitors later and it was working better before adding the capacitors. What other cap size I can try? - sorry I am a newbie here. Is the goal to see if the radio has a stable close to 3.3v using a multi-meter? - I am just not sure how to test if its any better (radio stability).

• Admin

I have a pack of different sizes... I usually just test some other size and sometimes switch to a ceramic variant when I see communication failures on my sensors.

But unfortunately I have no oscilloscope to be able to make a fully correct selection. Trial and horror 😉

• Thanks. I have ordered some higher uF capacitors and will Test with those when they arrive tomorrow and report my results.

• I tried with several.Up to 100uf it didn't help. The next uf up I had 330uf and that worked. Well it now works 95% of the times. I don't know if that high of the capatience will cause issues but it mostly works now.

@MatrixIII Wow that a pretty large cap.. Are these low ESR caps? If not, you may want to pick up a few in various sizes to see if you can get to 99%

• I bought the 4.7 uF using the link on the store here. The others I have bought from here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZG71H4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Hardware Contributor

Am I the only one experiencing success when using delays in the node software before sending radio messages? Even a hardware guy like me prefer that before starting to change caps.

delay(500);
    gw.begin(...
    delay(100);
    gw.sendSketchInfo(...
    delay(100);
    gw.present(...

delay(100);
    gw.send(...

delay(100);
    gw.sendBatteryLevel(....

• Contest Winner

@m26872

kind of averse to using blocking code that way... I have used delay() in my setup() functions like that... for the first time I set up the devices.... The caps are really there for the day-to-day reliability of the radio. It is a power hungry little bugger.

You could also do something like this so that you didn't have the delays there once you had the devices set up in vera...

//...
    #define FIRST_TIME_SETUP
    //...
    //...
    #ifdef FIRST_TIME_SETUP
    #define SETUP_DELAY 500
    #else 
    #define SETUP_DELAY 0
    #endif

void setup()
    {
      delay(SETUP_DELAY);