I'm starting my home automation journey and the architecture will be autonomous mysensors-nodes also controlled by Home Assistant.
Maybe some sonoff's for some special needs.
My house has 3 floors and the middle floor is 100% renovated 5 years ago so there I have to make compromises but the other two floors we are renovating and also recabling all the electrics so it's easy to get all cables routed to a central place for automation control.
I already have Home Assistant running a few months and its collecting sensor data from my geothermal heat pump, UPS device and some software running on my home server.
This first node is a kind on POC and wife approval node. It goes to a hallway in my basement which we are renovating at the moment.
The node has:
- 5V power from the AIO (maybe I'll need a fuse? or this https://www.openhardware.io/view/504/HLK-PM01-breakout-board)
- Arduino Pro Mini 5V for the brains
- NRF24 radio
- DHT22 for temperature and humidity
- A relay to control lights
- Standard Finnish light switch (existing one)
- Hall sensor for laundry room door
The idea is to make the system fault tolerant and not dependant of Home Assistant which I have to update from time to time and which runs on RPi3 which can fail.
Other nodes I'm planning:
- Water pump monitoring and control
- Electricity monitor
- Freezer monitoring
- Laundry room machines monitoring
- Lights inside and outside of the house
- Temperature sensors to all rooms
- Control of under-floor heating valves (21 at the moment)