@AWI, thanks to your sketch and the concept of transmission quality measurement I did some adjustments to my setup.
I guess the most critical reason for the bad numbers shown on the meter for my network was due to a poor gateway. After applying the cheep and dirty EMI fix, a ground connected foil, and playing around with the transceiver power I finally got some good numbers on the meter.
So now I've placed a post-it on each module indicating a sort of long term fail average. A couple of them shows quite poor fail/miss values, 60-80 %. The best ones reaches around 5-15 % but this could be due to the gateway radio.
Actually I still don't know if the gateway transceiver is optimized. I should test some additional radio units.
Using large caps for the radio is recommended. There's no reason why not to use a bigger cap, > x00 uF. The ones rated for lower voltages are quite small in physical terms.
Thank you for this @AWI!