Why is stropts.h included ?

• i stumbled that mysensors was compiling with a fail

and it was a long time before i updated

but why include somthing what is these days obsolete

in /hal/architecture/Linux/drivers/core/interrupt.cpp there is #include <stropts.h>

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/61029226/how-do-i-install-libraries-for-stropts-h

and special this quote "stropts.h is part of the Posix STREAMS extension, which Linux never supported"

so if it never has support why use it if it not in any distrubutiion anymore ?

• Mod

Welcome to the MySensors community @henk-herck

I guess you mean the Raspberry Pi gateway?

https://forum.mysensors.org/topic/11138/mysensors-build-problem-on-ubuntu-20-04-rpi-or-tinker-board/ discusses the same topic.

• I don't know this problem in detail (and didn't bother spending time reading into it). But is this yet another (only one of very many) typical RPi related problem? It boggles my mind how often these things are recommended to people...

• thnx

yeah i see now couldn't find it

oh and is not RPI specific it is LINUX

@TRS-80 RPI is not that good reccomment more a Odroid or a Orange Pi

quote "stropts.h is part of the Posix STREAMS extension, which Linux never supported"

not realy a discussion more a bug with something what is never been supported but git didnt like me today

oh and commit 112a28ae366aca2c34ece7f86218e3013fb8034f doesnt fix it creates a buffer overflow

• @henk-herck said in Why is stropts.h included ?:

not RPI specific it is LINUX

RPi have some particular problems because they are on old kernels and custom crap because of the locked down bootloader. Which appears at first to be a "Linux" problem, but ultimately is due to the fact that they are un-cooperative (even hostile) toward Linux developers with their locked down bootloader / binary blob GPU / etc...

EDIT: I just read your post again more carefully, seems this indeed is not relevant in this particular case. Even from the beginning it was only a generalization on my part about RPi anyway. But seems as I am preaching to the choir in this regard, as evidenced by your next comment...

@henk-herck said in Why is stropts.h included ?:

RPI is not that good reccomment more a Odroid or a Orange Pi

Wow, it makes me happy to see someone else realize this. I often feel as if I am on a one man crusade to educate people in this regard.

I like you, you can stay. 😁

Certainly you must be aware of Armbian then, if you have managed to escape the RPi plantation and are already using these sort of boards like you mention.

Welcome to the forums!

• I went ahead and filed a bug about this. Thanks for the report @henk-herck.

• @TRS-80

thnx

only have a rpi v2 , Odroid U3 , Orange pi one, Pc+, Pc2 and zero plus h5 , beelink X2 and a amlogic 905

it is more the effort of a community to have soc inegrated in mainline kernel the manufactures are not that interested if it works for a year or 2
    amlogic ,allwinner ,rockchip are less known socs but have nice features

indeed armbian is a nice image build script

now only i need homeassistant to like to find my nodes

• @henk-herck said in Why is stropts.h included ?:

the manufactures are not that interested

There is this, which is true, and then there is outright hostility towards F/LOSS development, which is typically a product of dinosaur business model lock-in mindset (RPi, Nvidea, etc...), which I can only hope will finally die off sooner or later.

@henk-herck said in Why is stropts.h included ?:

amlogic ,allwinner ,rockchip are less known socs but have nice features

Yes, personally I am well aware, but good to mention for others reading. Currently I am eagerly awaiting the release of the version of Helios64 (Rockchip based, IIRC) which is supposed to come with ECC RAM! This will eventually become my new 64-bit ARM ECC ZFS NAS (wow that was a lot of alphabet soup!). 😆

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics