Connecting a Decoupling-Capacitor

• Mod

From 'Connecting the Radio to your Arduino'

If you experience bad reception or if transmitted data never reaches destination, try adding a decoupling capacitor of 4.7uF across the radio's 3.3V and GND.

Is there a reason why I should -not- do this?
    I am thinking of doing this immediately to avoid the issues mentioned unless the above answer is positive...

Thanks,

Marcel

• Well, I haven't tried it yet, but for my current network (which includes 6 nodes), I don't have capacitor on any of them, and they work.
    Probably tho, I'll be adding caps to see if it changes anythig in terms of i.e. range.

• Mod

Hmm, ok.

The reason I ask is because our house has a 170m2 'footprint' with very thick concrete walls.
    It is a problem for Wifi, less of a problem for z-wave (due to the mesh architecture I think) so I expect it to be sort of the same with these radio's.

I've needed them on all the cheapy nanos I've bought but not on the slightly better quality nanos... I don't think it has anything really to do with distance/range as without the capacitor it wouldn't work between two devices on my desk!

When I work out how to use my oscilloscope I'll try do some comparison with and without...

• Mod

Thanks, looking forward to that test!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics