Detecting backwash mode on rust filter and water softener?

• I have Kinetico equipment, which is all 100% mechanical. There are no electronics or timers which turn on the backwash/regen modes on my rust filter and water softener. A couple of weeks ago, my rust filter got stuck on backwash mode for who knows how long, and it filled my septic tank and saturated my drain field. I had to have it pumped.

I'd like to sense when it's on backwash mode, so I can throw an alert with my controller when it's backwashing for more than X number of minutes. Any idea how to go about this?

Perhaps an inexpensive flow sensor. You probably don't care so much about accuracy as much as simply whether it's on or off.

• That's perfect. I didn't know they made cheap flow meters, looking at them now. Thanks!

• @NeverDie

Hmm, now that I read the descriptions, it seems this will not work well. The descriptions say that need to avoid having debris going into it and it requires a filter. The backflush, especially on the rust filter, is filled with crap. There is a light coating of mud in those pipes. If I put a filter in there, it's likely restrictive enough to cause problems as these things are sensitive to backpressure in the backflush line. And, if I don't have a filter, I know the flow sensor is going to stop working properly.

I could probably put a water sensor at the output of the backflush line, and if it remains wet for more than X minutes, I can have my controller throw an alert.

@signal15 How about a pressure sensor on both sides of the filter? I would expect a change in pressure difference if things are not normal. Something like http://www.ebay.com/itm/251918804485.

Cheers
    Al

• At one point there was a water softener in my basement, but for an unknown reason it was taken out. I am on a well and septic; water is fairly hard, measured at 250 ppm (15(gpg).

I would like to add a water softener again, but the choices and info at local stores such as Lowes, Menards, Sears, etc leaves something to be desired.

The house has a kitchen and three bathrooms, but at present only me living in it. Gas water heater. No dishwashers or whirlpools, though I do shower daily, sometimes more in summer.

Any comments from knowledgeable people about brands known for quality, features or other issues to look for are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Bella

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics