Using a 5v slim battery

• Hey there,

I have an extra ravpower 6700 mah 5v portable charger and an easyacc 15W solar panel charger.

I'm considering trying a 5v node where the panel charges the battery and the battery provides continuous power to a nano (or apm using sundberg84s easy/newbie pcb).

I'll post more info about the battery and solar pack when I'm at my laptop tonight

I plan on the node and components being super low power (mostly soil sensors, rain sensor, air quality, maybe wind) with high sleep times. Theoretically, assuming no overheating and no outdoor heat/water leakage variables to damage components wouldn't this go forever or until a component died?

I did validate that the battery pack can be charged and provide power simultaneously (2A in /2A out).

One thing I don't think I'll effectively accomplish is battery%, due to the embedded circuitry, but was considering doing an led pulse or image capure of leds on battery to have a general idea of %

@rchamp I guess it will work but you have a lot of (expensive) overhead in the link you provided. These solar chargers a not built for long lasting low power applications but rather for charging phones and other mobile equipment.

A solar panel, charging circuit and battery and low power node is a much better solution, and less chance of dying components. My suggestion is to browse @ceech his postings. That would give you some good hardware ideas and solutions.

Have fun 👍

• Hardware Contributor

I agree with @AWI on the overhead as he calls it. You can use the two items as a power source for sure, they can provide enough power for a sensor node. They can also charge your phone and heat up water for you morning coffee at the same time 🙂
    But the power bank can't be used forever. Batteries have final charge/discharge cycles after which their capacity start to decline. In case of lithium batteries which are used in power banks, that number is around 500.

• understood. i just happened to already have these as 'extras', so i figured i'd build a node and give it a whirl.

I'll definitely do some more research on @ceech his postings.

thx for the insight

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics