DHT22 lib working on 1Mhz?

• I tested a DHT22 clone with a ProMini (3.3V) using basically the Sensebender sketch which reduces clock frequency to 1Mhz.
    Without clock frequency reduction I get consistent readings from the DHT22 on 3.3V.
    When going down to 1MHz only the first couple of readings are ok then I get NaNs.
    Right now I am using the library from Mark Ruys.

What library is known to work 1Mhz?

Cheers,
    Thomas

I'm working with the library that is provided with the mysensors download.
    Works with an internal clock set to 1 MHz for me.

• Actually, I am using the same lib.
    I found a thread in the Arduino forum which explains that it can not work in principle: http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=291695.0

Hmmm, quite interesting that it seems to work at least in certain cases.

• how about 2 or 4MHz if 8 is too high?

• @Stric said:

how about 2 or 4MHz if 8 is too high?

Will try and report back.

• I tried it. Even on 4Mhz only the first 4 transmits show readings. Then it only returns errors.
    So it only work on 8Mhz for me.

• So after 2 weeks fiddling around with the different libraries at different clock frequencies, I have some conclusions I would like to share with you.

I tested with a ProMini and two DHT22 sensors, one from Adafruits and one from China.
    As I already reported, I had problems with clock frequencies below 8MHz with all different libraries. After switching to 8MHz, I realized another problem. Temperature readings did not change. They stayed the same value, only when I reset the ProMini I had a correct reading.
    I had this behaviour with the Adafruit and the library included in the MySensors project.

Since yesterday evening I am testing the library from Rob Tillaart (http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DHTLib) which is working correctly giving me correct readings.
    I am presuming that this is related to sleeping the ProMini and may be the low power mode the DHT22 is going into, I don't know...(at least in Rob's lib there is a wakeup delay which seems to address that point)

Anyway, it seems I have at least now a working solution. I will re-try to lower the clock frequency with that library.

Apart from that I also realized that the DHT library included in MySensor will perform a sensor read for a call to readTemperature and readHumidity which means that you would need to put a delay of 2s between a readTemperature and readHumidity. Since the sensor delivers the values in a "single" read this is rather unfortunate for battery powered sensor.

• Admin

If it verifies ok you could perhaps create a pull request with the new library and update the DHT example sketch accordingly?

• Ok. I'll do that. Might however take a couple of days.

• I retried again with Rob Tillaart's DHT22 library whether I can reduce clock frequency.
    The results:

• 1 MHz -> wrong readings, like -100 C
    • 2 MHz -> "
    • 4 MHz -> from time to time wrong reading

Overall, I would state that you need to run the DHT22 with the libraries I tested on 8 Mhz.

• Admin

Ok, thanks for the update.

• Admin

@tomkxy

Are you compiling for the different clock frequencies in arduino? Or is it compiled for 8/16Mhz target, and then you switch frequency in the sketch?

• I used the Sensebender sketch which switches in the sketch.

• Sorry for a stupid question, but how do you run at 1 Mhz?
    See http://www.mysensors.org/hardware/micro#comment-2196823229
    Are you able to switch to 1 Mhz at runtime?

• Have a look at the sensebender sketch http://www.mysensors.org/hardware/micro#example-sketch

if ((measureCount == 5) && highfreq) 
      {
        clock_prescale_set(clock_div_8); // Switch to 1Mhz for the reminder of the sketch, save power.
        highfreq = false;
      } 

The clock frequency is scaled down by software.

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics