How to properly debug Serial Gateway nRF24L01+ ?

• Hi,

I have a problem with my serial gateway described in more detail here:
    http://forum.mysensors.org/topic/797/pimatic-mysensors-controller-plugin/57
    I am using the 1.5 mysensors library. And an arduino nano with a nRF24L01+ which has worked for 3 weeks before it started to do weird stuff.

My question is now, how can I get some debug messages? I never get any output, apart from the

0;0;3;0;9;gateway started, id=0, parent=0, distance=0
    0;0;3;0;14;Gateway startup complete.

So, I tried to add

rf24.printDetails();

in the MyTransportNRF24.cpp but it did not show anything. I also discovered

#define FAILURE_HANDLING
     #define SERIAL_DEBUG
    //  #define MINIMAL 

in the RF24_config.h and that it has something to do with what debug output is shown. But whatever combination of these I do, I never see any debug output.

What am I overlooking?
    Thanks!

• No one? Really? I can't get the output of
    RF24 printDetails();
    in my sketch.
    Can anybody tell me how I can use the printDetails(); function in the SerialGateway.ino to show the radio details on the serial console? I can't get it to work... I am using the 1.5 library.

• Admin

• @hek Thanks a lot! That really helped. Finally had time to look into it. So for other people I will try to write down what I did. I tested this for one of my sensors.
    I am using Mysensors 1.5 master branch.

1. MyTransportNRF24: I commented out the "private:" to make the rf24 function public.
    2. RF24_config.h: I commented out the "#define MINIMAL" to make some more functions available in RF24.cpp.
    3. then I added to my sketch:
    • "#include <printf.h>" in the beginning, I found the file somewhere on the net.
    • in the void setup() function I added "printf_begin();" I do not fully understand this, but it seems to define stdio. Because I read in RF24.h
      printf.h
    /**
       * Print a giant block of debugging information to stdout
       * @warning Does nothing if stdout is not defined.  See fdevopen in stdio.h
       */
      void printDetails(void);

• in the void loop(); I added "radio.rf24.printDetails();"

... and after several months of research it is finally printing some debug output. For example: PA Power = PA_HIGH

I wonder why this is so difficult to use and there is so little info about debugging.

Hope it helps someone!

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics