"Check Wires " message

Upgraded library to 1.4 and when I run light sensor script (with debug on) the only message I get is check wires. I double checked the wires and have tried running it with no wires attached to board and still get same message. I'm running it as a standalone (not gateway board).

What triggers this message?

• Admin

@Dan-S.

The library was unable to talk to the radio at startup. So either is something still wrong in your wiring of radio or your radio-module is faulty.

Thanks Hek.
    Checked wiring, substituted radios and still got message. Finally traced to loose connector. Now working.

Don't recall getting this type of message under 1.3 even when I miswired. Is this new?

Also, do I have to update the Vera plugin from 1.3 when I use the 1.4 library?

This forum is amazingly responsive!

• Contest Winner

@Dan-S. I get it sometimes also with correct wireing. Seem related to power supply, so if you get it, also have a look at the RF24_PA_LEVEL in MyConfig.h. Lowering it helps the Arduino power the RF board (assuming you do power it straigt of the Arduino). Also, a decoupling cap might help.
    The Vera plugin also needs to be updated. I have been running 1.4 all over and things seem to work out nicely, but I do have problem with the Ethernet GW, but I susbect the Vera is messing with me. I plan to ditch it in favor of an open source alternative in the future.

• Admin

@Dan-S. said:

Don't recall getting this type of message under 1.3 even when I miswired. Is this new?

Yep, it's new.

Also, do I have to update the Vera plugin from 1.3 when I use the 1.4 library?

Yes.

Hek,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the latest plugin zip was posted 11 days ago? Don't see 1.4 referenced anywhere but I guess the library and plugin don't have to have the same version #?

O.K. Loaded the latest plugin and everything seems to be working. The Mysensors plugin widow says Plugin version 1.4 but Lib version 1.3b3 (67f4ca1). My sensor node says Lib version 1.4.

Is that 1.3b3 right?

Never mind. Reloaded the gateway sketch and reloaded vera an plugin lib now says 1.4 too.

I do think that ANTICIMEX is right about power supply to the radio problems. Further checking seems to indicate that is the source of my "check wires" problem. For now, placing a cap across the ground and power seems to have solved the problem. But longer tern I intend to power the radios directly from the power supply

One last thing. I found this site to be very informative on the radios:

http://arduino-info.wikispaces.com/Nrf24L01-2.4GHz-HowTo

• Contest Winner

@Dan-S.
    Cool. Nice link. Do keep en mind though that you might still need the cap even if you power the RF module separately.
    As soon as my fresh batch of caps arrive I will solder them directly on the top-side of all my rf-modules. They should not protrude too far above the board lying down and you can never have too much decoupling 🙂
    I would like to use the PA-powered RF module for my GW, but I suspect the Arduinos flimsy 3.3V reg cannot power it properly, which is sad, but an external step-down should suffice, powerd by the RAW pin or similar with some decoupling. I will try it out and if it works on my breadboard, I'm, pretty sure it will hold up soldered to a perma-proto as well.

• Im having a problem with the "check wires" message on my ethernet gateway. I tried external power supply, cap, and switching modules between sensor and gateway, still no luck. Tested all connections with multimeter and appear to be correct with no shorts.

• It appears as both my Uno and Mega do not like being a gateway at all. either serial or ethernet. My micro works just fine. guess its a board problem 😞

Suggested Topics

Users

Topics