Dimmable light for makeup mirror (battery powered)
openhardware.io last edited by openhardware.io
This is a simple, low-cost and quick project that can get a high spouse acceptance factor.
- Remove the led strip from the aluminum profiles.
- Cut the aluminum profiles and the covers to appropriate length. I used a hacksaw to cut profile+cover at the same time to ensure the got the same length.
- Cut the led strips at one of the cut points using a side cutter.
- Remove the old wires (they are too short to reach the box) and solder new wires.
- Put the led strip back inside the aluminum profile. Note that there is a small grove at the back for the strip, this ensures that the strip is close to the profile to maximize cooling.
- Glue the profiles to the mirror. I used slow-curing epoxy.
- Drill holes in the project box for the switch (6mm) and the potentiometer (6mm should be enough but was too tight so I used 8mm).
- Drill a 4mm hole for the wires to the led strips.
- Upload the sketch to the Arduino
- Connect the Arduino and the battery packs and put them inside the project box.
- Fasten the project box using double-sided tape.
Big thanks to my wife for letting me use the action photo.